RESULTS: ATTEMPTING GERMINATION OF ONE MATURE ROSE EMBRYO IN A 10% X (FULL STRENGTH 15N/4P/26K) FERTILIZER SOLUTION + DARKNESS

To summarise, I extracted a normal looking mature rose embryo from an Iceberg OP red hip.

The embryo was immediately placed in a jar containing a 10% X (full strength 15N/4P/26K) fertilizer solution. This jar was then placed in a dark cupboard, hoping for a sprouting to occur.

The reasoning behind this trial was to see if the relative lack of visible+UV light energy might act as an extra stimulant to rootlet formation in those embryos which fail to root in full light environments (a phenomenon sometimes coined as “radicle blunting”). I also replaced the usual tap water with a very diluted fertilizer solution as the germination medium, hoping that it may complement the darkness by acting as a separate stimulant to rootlet formation (as well as overall seedling growth).

When the embryo commenced to sprout at the radicle end in the dark liquid environment (around day 7), it was then transferred out of solution, and sowed into a pot containing seed raising mix and allowed to germinate, exactly as if it were a rose achene/seed. Whilst in the pot, it received once daily applications of the same diluted fertilizer solution.

Here it is as a fully developed seedling, this morning, pulled out of its potting mix:

For now, I am encouraged by this single result to continue this dilute fertilizer + darkness regime on any subsequent embryo work I do, unless any negatives show up.

1 Like

George,

I have four small jars of OP rose seeds in the refrigerator; the first done on Oct 1st and the remaining on the 19th. Am so looking forward to seeing what the outcome will be-now Ican just let them sit for awhile which is a plus since I am extremely busy right now. Thank you for your lengthy post on this seed starting process which you and Don both independtly developed. Will have to reread your post when the cold water stratificatin ends and follow it step by step.

Thanks again,

Jim

I would be grateful to know if the method described above has been proven successful in further trials. In positive case, this method could be a valuable speed booster for some long-term germinators. Many thanks!