Relationship of arkansana, virginiana and carolina

Abstract: Polyploid and hybrid evolution in roses east of the Rocky Mountains

This study investigates the impact of hybridization and polyploidy in the evolution of eastern North American roses. We explore these processes in the Rosa carolina complex (section Cinnamomeae), which consists of five diploid and three tetraploid species…At the diploid level, species west of the Rocky Mountains are distinct from eastern species. In the east, two groups of diploids were found: one consists of R. blanda and R. woodsii and the other of R. foliolosa, R. nitida, and R. palustris. Only eastern diploids are involved in the origins of the polyploids.

• Rosa arkansana is derived from the blanda

I think there has to be a lot of hybridity in all these groups. For example, my palustris is a very different than what is available in commerce.

I can’t remember who sent it to me, but it grew in the crack between a telephone pole and cement.

It resembles more in the Martin and Rix catelog of roses than the palustris that Robert is working with.

I do see how the combinations of blanda, woodsi, foliolosa, nidida, palustris, and carolinas, coupled with inbreeding, could create new distinct hybrids. They seem to take on traits very easily (at least, for my palustris hybrid.)

My palustris seedling looks almost like nothing like palustris (the pollen parent was Basye’s Amphidiploid.)

I got a few seeds of foliolosa X blanda.

Lets see if any of those hybrids resemble like the others.

Enrique,

“I think there has to be a lot of hybridity in all these groups.”

I caution you to make a statement like this until you have the experience working with populations of these species in their native habitats.

As far as your Rosa palustris plant, if it was grown from seed then obviously it could have been cross pollinated with another species or cultivar.

Regarding the native species of the Northern Great Plains (Rosa acicularis, R. arkansana, R. woodsii, I have read several times from different authorities that these species hybridize with each other (and that there are populations of these hybrids). In my extensive botanizing on the Canadian Prairies, I’ve seen very little if any evidence of this. A major factor why this is so, I suspect, is that these species begin flowering at different times and there isn’t much overlap in their flowering periods. Perhaps a similar situation exists with Rosa carolina, R. nitida, R. palustris and R. virginiana that grow in geographical regions of eastern Canada. I look forward one day to study this.

It is good to know that Rosa arkansana, Rosa carolina and Rosa virginiana are separate species. But for the rose breeder, it’s more important to know their unique characteristics that can be useful in a breeding program. Example, the drought tolerance of Rosa arkansana. Much more work needs to be done in this respect.