Recommendations for disease resistant offspring

Can people please advise what roses are good for maximising disease resistance in offspring (interested in any rose classes).

1. Rosa wichurana

2. Rosa bracteata

And I have both of these George… if you’d like either towards the middle of the season let me know and I’ll post you some material.

Hi George, to which diseases are you most interested in producing resistant seedlings?

Jim Sproul

Thanks Simon, you are showing yourself to be a real sport!

Jim, black spot in my coastal location is a KILLER!

George

Has anyone used R. rugosa magnifica as a seed parent.

I think R. multiflora should be added to that list.

and R. laxa Retzius

Rosa multiflora is notorious for progeny that is susceptible to powdery mildew. It is also quite susceptible to rose rosette disease. It can’t begin to compare, for example, to Rosa wichurana for incorporating disease resistance in a breeding program.

Rosa laxa is always healthy in cold (Zone 2 - 3) climates. How healthy it is in warmer climates I don’t know. But this species is unlikely as disease resistant as Rosa wichurana and R bracteata.

Using disease resistant species in a breeding program for developing disease progeny, much depends on what they are combined with and the percentage of them in the parentage. It also helps to get lucky. Luck - the rose breeder’s best friend.

OK then. Is “Many Happy Returns” a good rose for breeding, as it supposedly has wichurana as well as brachteata genes?

George

I have spoken to Viru who recommended "Many Happy Returns’. He hasn’t used it that I know of but others here have with some success. It sets hips and the seeds germinate ok. I bought it this year to test.

Who is Viru Simon?

See link:

Link: helpmefind.com/plant/l.php?l=7.5946

I met Viru and his Wife Girija several years ago when Viru was awarded the Great Rosarian of the World Award at the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens here in Southern CA.

They had previously contacted me regarding my first Banksia hybrid which was featured in an article published in the Indian Rose Journal. They are heavily involved in producing the journal each year.

I remember being dumbfounded that they had been working on some of the projects I had thought about for years.

We’ve been in touch regularly since that time. I got to spend a few days with them this Spring in Northern CA. It was great to pick his brain. We have a lot in common.

I’ve taken some of their ideas and hybrids and merged them with my own. They’ve been using ‘Lila Banks’ to some degree despite it’s limitations.

Yes… I find them both awe inspiring… so when he recommends I try ‘Manny Happy Returns’… then I’m going to try ‘Many Happy Returns’ :slight_smile: I would love to meet them one day too. They are the most friendly people and more than happy to help people.

There is always Louisa Stone, which is bred from Many Happy Returns.

There don’t seem to be many descendants of Many Happy Returns… Not much has been done with it, wonder why?

George

I am guessing because it breeds mostly pastels, and is of a mixture that is difficult to utilize in a marketing/pre-conformed concept sense. Also, it seems to have limited distribution.

Yea. I saw a group of these in a park, forming a sort of small low edging to the rest of the rose garden. What caught my eye about it was the coloured hips, more than the plant or the flower itself.

George.

I have some seedlings from Out of Yesteryear (Hybrid bracteata) and they are very healthy even though blackspot was horrendous this year. There were seedlings with blackspot touching one of the the bracteata seedlings and it was spot free. The blackspot seedlings were eventually tossed.

Anyway, I would love to grow R. bracteata but it says zone 7. I do grow OoY, Golden Buddha and Out of the Night with no problem. Do you think the species or Muriel would grow here?

I got carmine red seedlings from MHR x Survivor. Hoping for adding wichura, bracteata and rugosa genes. Something that did not happen. Early spring foliage was nice but neither desease resistance nor foliage holding hability were bettered.

As I dislike looking for an improbable lucky strike, it is rather deceiving how large a progeny is needed to eventually achieve similar goals from such crosses.

It is just as if species genes were elliminated instead of added.