Ralph Moore

I just received word that he passed away this morning at 102 years of age.

The end of an era.

He was a joy and an inspiration to those who’s lives he touched.

Hear, hear, Robert.

It still amazes me that he was seventy when I met him and that was over thirty years ago. His health at that age, and throughout his life for that matter, was remarkable. He would wear me out running all over Sequoia and he had fifty years on me.

He certainly had an amazing run, and there’s was nothing wrong with his mind as he aged, though his hearing got to be a big problem.

Fortunately I can speak very loudly, even then it made communication difficult.

I saw him last his 101st B-day. Jim Sproul and Dr. David Byrne were there. That was the only time I had ever been invited into his home.

He was talking Crests. Once he had a project he was like a dog with a bone, even after several decades.

I looked up ‘Crested Jewel’. It was bred sometime before 1964. He never gave up.

I confess the Crests were never a huge fascination of mine but he did have one crested creation that still fascinates me, “MORsoucrest”.

It would be fun to carry some of his crested stuff forward if only to take his vision a step or two further.

I always wondered if Crests shouldnt have been bred to Caninas. they have some odd, long sepals.

Crests are relatively wide open for experimentation.

I wonder, though, if someone did create a nice, well-behaved, reblooming crested rose, if it would be a good dedication to him. His namesake is already taken, but there are other ways to honor someone in name.

Another obituary

Link: www.legacy.com/obituaries/visaliatimesdelta/obituary.aspx?n=ralph-s-moore&pid=133436974

Here’s an article I did about Ralph Moore and Sequoia Nsy. for the Heritage Rose Society Magazine, Rosa Mundi, earlier this year.

Some of you might enjoy browsing through it. There are some insights as to Ralph Moore innovations, though many of you are likely already familiar with them.

There is information on bracteata hybrids among other things. You’ll see some nice photos contributed by Paul Barden.

Link: www.heritagerosefoundation.org/4resources/Rosa%20Mundi/10/RM10_Rippetoe.pdf

Great article Robert, as it is very informative. It is amasing how many innovations Mr Moore had and how we take many of them for granted now. It was nice to put a face to your name as well.

Thanks Paul, I tried to give an abbreviated synopsis of some of Mr. Moore’s accomplishments. He approved the article before it was published and seemed pleased that some of his lesser known work is mentioned.

His life story could easily fill the pages of a novel.

Robert-N-R, thanks for this well-written article.

I loved reading your article. The pictures were great. Almost every time I read about Ralph Moore I learn just a little bit more. He certainly did a lot.

Thanks Adam, the timing of the article seems somewhat ironic in light of Mr. Moore’s passing.

I hope there is some day an effort by others to go more in depth.

Several years ago there was a small group that got together to document Mr. Moore’s thoughts and achievements in his own words in form of a video format. I hope some day those are made available. It would be wonderful to see them compiled into a group of vignettes that could be viewed via YouTube or the like.

I really enjoyed reading this article. Thanks Robert. Robyn

My pleasure Robyn. I appreciate your feedback.

One of Mr. Moore’s long time employees, Burling Leong, will be visiting this week in conjunction with ARS Convention.

The story continues.

Thanks, Robert