r. tunquinensis

Wondering if any of you have used r.tunquinensis and what experience you have had with it.

Thanks, Judith. This is a new one on me…

Being in a warm relatively arid location myself, I would like to know more about the species itself… It reads like it really thrives on heat. (Did “Team Viraraghavan” ever work with it?)
-Is it evergreen?
-Highly resistant?
-Is panicle architecture relatively flat, or more extended?
-I presume diploid?

Along with R. gigantea, banksia, bracteata, clinophyla, and abyssinica, as well as other synstyllae, this could be an interesting species for those of us in warmer climates.

The Viraraghavans sent me the seeds. I don’t know if they’ve used the rose in breeding though.

I have 5 species rose seeds to work with. r. clinophylla hybrid (already have some nice remondant small hybrids from that one), r. Brunanii, La Mortola, r. tunquinensis and r. longicuspis. If I can get them to bloom before they get out of control, I will try some crosses. I don’t really have room to let them mature so they will have to be satisfied being bonsai’d.

Judith, if, in the course of your “bonsaification”, you need anyone to take cuttings off your hands… :wink:

(Make sure they don’t need old wood to bloom!)

Best of luck with those. I know in the past I had researched all of those, and in particular R. brunonii and Mortola, and thought they might be interesting… I will be curious as to how easy it is to get color and repeat into them.

Philip, I will be glad to send you cuttings when I get plants out of these seeds. So far, I have 5 seedlings from r. Tunquinensis, but the others have not begun to germinate yet. Can you not root cuttings from new wood on roses that need old wood to bloom?

I can send you cuttings from my r. Clinophylla hybrid (code name: Baby Blanket) when they recover from being cut back for the ‘winter’. I have two that are worth working with and a third little plant that puts out giant 6’ skinny tendrills all over the place that hasn’t bloomed yet. Maybe potential for a ground cover rose there if it ever blooms. Perhaps that one does bloom on old wood. We’ll see this spring.

Several years ago I received R. tunquinensis that was grown from seed that I believe can from the Viraraghavans. I was in Oregon at the time and it liked the warm humid summer but I lost it over the winter. Temps got down below 20* F that year. I’m not sure if I killed or the cold got to it.

Thanks, Jeff, that’s good to know. Maybe I’ll try crossing it with something a bit hardier.