R. setigera reading

In the latest edition of the ARS Rose Annual, RHA members David Zlesak and Kathy Zuzek co-authored a very informative article on R. setigera. The information is fascinating and certainly pertinent to rose breeders looking for possible sources of resistance to RRD. I think there are many members of the RHA who would find the information helpful but they may not be members of the ARS. Is there any way we can see if the ARS would allow the article to be reprinted in the RHA newsletter? Kudos to David and Kathy!

Thank you for your kind words Julie :0). It was a wonderful research project and fun to write up our findings for the ARS Annual Elena was editing. I’ll see what we need to do to get permission to reprint it and if we can forward it along to Betsy for consideration.

Julie, did the Annual contain any articles about rose viruses?

David,
In the article you mention that the offspring of the crosses you made segregated 50% for a R.setigera type flower cluster and 50% for a Polyantha type even after several generations. I was wondering if the growth habit segregated that way also. I made a Oso Happy Smoothie x (Marie Pavie x Robin Hood) cross last year and the seedlings have segregated 50% rambler type that didn’t bloom and 50% Polyantha type that did bloom. The rambler types also seem to be healthier than the bush types. I didn’t pay as much attention to the flower cluster shape so I don’t know how they segregated. But here are a photos of three of the and they are definitely flatter than the pollen parent (Marie Pavie x Robin Hood)
Smoothie x A3908 -3.JPG
Smoothie x A3908 -2.JPG
Smoothie x A3908 -1.JPG

There were 20 seedlings, but only about 10 bloomed this year and I only kept 4 of those. The red one didn’t make it, it didn’t have good enough disease resistance.

Hi Henry,

As I recall, the only virus mentioned in the Annual was the one causing Rose Rosette Disease. RRD was brought up in David’s article on R. setigera and there is also an article on Phyllocoptes fructiphilus, which is the vector for the virus causing RRD. But I have to admit that I need to return to the Annual when I have time for a more thorough reading. I’m still trying to get all my plants safely tucked in for the rapidly approaching winter and much of the content of the Annual was scanned rather rapidly.

Julie