R. rugosa alba X Stardust (patio rose)

The link is to a photo album showing the first seedling to flower from the cross in the subject line.

It was the first cross that I made, the first attempt in summer 2001 didn

Anything that is healthy and fragrant is a keeper in my book. The flower may not have exhibition form, but it isn’t bad. Congratulations!

A bush full of those things would be very nice.

Makes me jealous! Rugosa with a touch of Bracteata

The pink probably comes from the pollen parent. This particular stardust (there are a few roses carrying the name) is a mauve/lilac patio rose, the link to

jinks,

I looked at all five pictures with “brutality” in mind.

So, maybe it’s doesn’t knock you out with beauty – it’s not perfection. But it’s a nice rose. I’d grow it. Sorry, but you’ll just have to accept that other people are gonna like it.

I think the foliage is nice and the flower has an attractive semi-double cupped form. I also noticed it has reddish tints in the stigma. The mauve ancestry could be interesting in later breeding.

Let us know how the repeat and fertility are, as your hybrid matures.

If you think this group isn’t brutal, there’s another group I know of where they seem to think every rose is a keeper. I wouldn’t expect a first cross to a species to be a ‘releaser’, but if any rose is disease resistant, has good fragrance, has decent doubleness, AND is fertile its probably a good keeper/breeder. If I saw this in a nursery and didn’t know its disease resistance, I probably would pass this over for other showier flowers.

Two points: On another forum, I have seen incredible flower changes from the first flower, in terms of color and petalage (usually to the increase/better)

Some people have had seedlings that were diswease susceptible initially, but by second year appeared to become disease resistant.

Good points: Double, fragrant, soft color, disease resistance.

Bad points: Poor flower form, plant rangy. (Personal bad point: I like new red foliage, or green. I’m not over fond of new ‘bronzy’ foliage.)

Unanswered questions: How floriferous, and how remontant? How fertile? Does the disease resistance hold up over time?

Good luck,

Chris

Jinks,

Very nice actually. I happen to like light green or bronze new foliage best, never a lurid and ill-fitting red. As the quintessential rose color, light pink can’t be beaten. Also, the flower form is much prettier than any more modern hybrid tea I’ve seen. Now that you know my leanings, you’d also know I’d definitely grow it.

Congratulations.

Mike