R. multiflora 'Inermis'

Today I went to the Wageningen Botanical Gardens here in the Netherlands to look at the species roses they have there. Wow, they do have a lot of species. Most of them, I never even heard about. I’ll be back in fall to get hips from several tetraploids.

I noticed one interesting rose, R. multiflora inermis. It was there just next to multiflora, and looked the same but there was no single thorn. No on old growth, not on new growth. It maybe an interesting rose for those of you who want to breed thornless roses.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Often thornless R. multiflora has some prickles under the leaf rachis. Was it thornless there too?

David

Hello Rob,

If you want it, buy any rose you can find grafted upon

Multiflora.

It is the one in use in Europe as a rootstock.

Best wishes,

Pierre Lauwers.

Hello Rob,

Actually ‘inermis’ means ‘without thorns’, the rose used as an rootstock in Europe mentioned by Pierre is R. canina inermis, also without thorns but pentaploid.

W.

Sorry Wilhelmina,

There is a “R.Multiflora inermis” too.

It has been described as not quite hardy by Charlotte

Testu, but it is the one rosarians use in Europe if they use R.Multiflora as a rootstock.

R.Canina inermis, of course thornless too, is used by

Lens for some varieties.

David, I did not check the leaves, only the canes. Will have to do that when I get back there. In the meantime I hope that my cuttings will take. I took cuttings from R. longicuspis (wow foliage!), R. carolina, R. californica plena and some others I forgot. Rosa hemisphaerica was there too, a unique rose, although it looked quite similar to Persiana. I didn’t take cuttings, though, because the bush was so small.

Pierre & Wilhelmina: yes, I would have guessed this would be the rootstock of choice when using multiflora. Makes it easier to work with, without those thorns.

BTW Good to hear you’re still out there Pierre. Haven’t seen you for a while in the Antique Rose Forum.

Rob