R. minutifolia Seedlings

So far, there are 13 R. minutifolia (used as the pollen parent) seedlings that have sprouted from 32 seeds. It is possible that none of these are true hybrids as the seed parents could have self pollinated. I have my fingers crossed that maybe one of these will be non-remontant.

Jim Sproul

Good luck, Jim! I’ve only had one seed germinate ever using its pollen and that was with Anytime. I figured since it’s a bear to work with, might as well use something I KNEW would set and germinate seed. That seedling didn’t live very long.

Thanks Kim! I tried many crosses with it last year, but only two hips formed on reliable hip setters. My R. minutifolia died this past Summer when it got too much water, so I won’t be making any crosses this Spring.

Did your seedling die, or did you cull it?!

Jim Sproul

Nature culled it. You know the type. The ones which just look arthritic from day one. It lacked vigor, which screamed it had to be a hybrid. Anytime seedlings are weeds! It just sat with one set of leaves until it croaked. Flat out died. I’ve repeated the cross and on every other mini in the ghetto and nothing has ever resulted. I’ll keep trying!

Kim have you tried to cross it to another species first. I think crossing to another species first may help out on compatibility issues, but this is just one of my theories.

No, Adam, I haven’t crossed it with another species. I’m concerned that introducing another species with it will significantly alter the characteristics I’m after from it.

Kim, I am really doubting if any of these new sprouts will be hybrids… Yes, we can only keep trying, although if these aren’t good, I may have to wait awhile before trying again!

Adam, I wonder if there would be an intermediate link that could preserve the small foliage? A small bridge is all that it would take.

Jim Sproul

Rosa stellata? It may be too closely related to be much help, but at least we know it’s been hybridized.

A small bridge is all that it would take.

Based on Koopman’s Baysean chart I would try the close Hulthemias, spins, close foetidas, Sericea/omeiensis, and the North American species and close species derivatives. It would not be far-fetched to try Potentilla, too.