R. foetida, working with the Pernetianas

I am very reluctant with working with a bright yellow Pernetiana that I found. It is beautiful, and the yellow doesn’t fade. And it is the exact shade of bright yellow of Persian Yellow. My thinking that the closer a rose is to a Pernetiana or R. foetida, the more likely BS proness will be passed to offspring. What’s your opinion? I got a vial of R. foetida pollen in the fridge that’s been there for a long while. I used some to pollinate Baby Love, 5 blosooms. It’s late in the season, but I’m sure the hips will form without any problems. I want to see what kind of offspring would result if I pollinated Baby Love. Will resulting offspring be BS free, BS prone, or somewhere in the middle.

Hiyas! I dont see how it would hurt just to try it out. I mean, what have ya got to lose? Afterall, it really isnt much detective work to see if it highly disease prone at the early stages of seedling development. Im assuming Baby Love is the pollen parent because the Pern rose isnt on your property? Also, you might want to look into Rabble Rouser by Weeks for next year. The yellow is bolder than it’s parent, Baby Love and I have been having luck with it so far as a pollen parent. No clue as far as seed parent, though.

It depends on whether Baby Love has a dominant gene for blackspot resistance. If it does, some of the offspring will get that gene. Even if Baby Love doesn’t have a dominant gene for blackspot resistance, you could get some degree of blackspot resistance in the seedlings, depending on what recessive genes each parent has. There’s only one way to find out…

Yeah, I guess I just have to try. My thinking is that the closer it is the source of the black spot foetida, the worse it will be.

My found Pern. is now growing in the garden, and attracts lots of disease. I found it growing abandoned in East Side San Jose, infront of an abandoned house. It’s been there for ever, but it was only last year that I actually got a very close look and found that I really enjoyed the non fading yellow. The form is very sloppy, but it’s very charming like that. I call it “Link”, after the name of the street.

Hey Mike,

I did a search on HelpMeFind for Rabble Rouser, but it seems to be too new to even be listed. Could you tell us a little more about the plant (who is the other parent, what are the plant’s characteristics, etc. - especially color) and where to get it?

Thanks,

Mike

Hiyas, HMF lists it under its UK name which is Celebration 2000.

"Seed: Anytime x (Liverpool Echo x (Flamenco (Floribunda, McGredy, 1960) x R. bella) )

Pollen: Baby Love (Miniature, Scrivens, 1992)"

It basically looks like a doubled and darker version of Baby Love on the same size of bush. Very healthy and attractive rose, in my opinion.

-Mike

I used to grow Soleil D’Or and finally had to get rid of it because of the blackspot. I now have a new foetida bicolor. Its been raining constantly for about 6 weeks here and some of my modern yellows have blackspot. I don’t spray at all. Strangely, the bicolor, except for some yellow leaves at the bottom, is completely healthy. I have a feeling that the blackspot problem of the pernetianas may also have come from other parents in the mix.

Apart from the marigold colors of this rose, and the black center, I love the orange/tangerine scent. Just heavenly.

Hey Mike,

I was on Helpmefind this morning, but there are no suppliers listed. Any ideas where I could get one?

Thanks,

Mike

I don’t know if this is of any interest…for a while, I grew “Lawrence Johnston”, which is usually referred to as a Large-flowered Climber, but has R.foetida persiana as its pollen parent, so could probably be considered a Pernetiana. “Lawrence Johnston” is relatively susceptible to blackspot, as you might expect. It also has that great tangerine scent (Lydia mentioned for ‘Soleil dOr’) and is bright yellow. I remember using its pollen on a few roses (seemed to be very fertile), and that it held on to its open-pollinated hips for quite a while (although I can’t remember ever seeing a matured one). Just thought some of you might want to consider this rose, especially if your going back to “the roots” for yellow color. Someday, I’ll get this one again for playing around.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=3769

It will be sold next year by Weeks in mass. A few plants were released this year, though.

Thanks Mike!