R. fedtschenkoana Ploidy

Hi all,

Does anybody know the ploidy of this species rose? I was looking over the proposed genetic heritage of the Autumn Damask (thought to be [R. moschata x R. gallica] x R. fedtschenkoana or [R. moschata x R. fedtschenkoana] x R. gallica) and was just curious of the mismatched ploidy of gallica and mochata. Could fedtschenkoana be hexaploid?

Thanks,

Mike

There is a history of tetraploids having been successfuly bred with diploids. Isn’t that where triploids and pentaploids came from? I wonder if its that mixed ploidy that makes Damasks not so fertile.

Lydia,

Not sure about the pentaploids, but it sure does explain triploids. If fedtschenkoana were tetraploid, there would have to have been a reversion to tetraploidy somewhere along the line since moschata is diploid and gallica is diploid and I’m also pretty sure that Autumn Damask is tetraploid too.

Mike

Hello,

R.Fedtschenkoana is tetraploid, and R.Gallica too.

And of course the Damasks, be they once or repeat-flowering.

Best wishes,

Pierre.

Hey, I haven’t heard from Kim for a long while. I remember he was working with R. fedtschenkoana, or Olga Rose as I call it. He had sucessful seedlings of it with Orangeade or Orange Sweetheart. Most likely the first…

A cross of R. fedtschenkoana and R. laxa could provide some very intresting seedlings. Both are repeat blooming tetraploids, and very hardy… Although it is so difficult to get either one.

Kim’s hybrids are R. fedschenkoana X ‘Orangeade’. We are assuming they are fertile tetraploids, as that is how they are behaving.

Paul

Oops, misspoke about the Gallica being diploid. I meant to write tetraploid. Thanks for the information everybody. I’d be interested to see what Kim has come up with.

Mike

Lydia, I had very good success using pollen of Kazanlik, a damask rose from Bulgaria, and hybrid tea roses such as Secret and Cologne. Seedlings didn’t survive for me, but I have a big slug and snail problem that hinders my progress big time…

The failed University of Guelph rose breeding program of the 1980’s used Rosa fedtschenkoana and Rosa spinosissima to cross with Hybrid Teas and Floribundas. The progeny had the sprawling habit and foliage characteristics of Rosa fedtschenkoana. These hybrids were crossed with each other and the result was improved fertility to get hips to set. Ironically, I think Rosa fedtschenkoana and Rosa spinosissima were good choices to use in this breeding program but they weren’t used properly. An interspecific hybrid of these two species should have been done first, since the value of developing interspecific rose hybrids for a breeding program has been established. I don’t think there is any point in combining Rosa fedtschenkoana and Rosa laxa, since these two species are too closely related in shrub form and flower characteristics.

Hi, I actually have seedlings from Orangeade X R. Fedtschenkoana and Dottie Louise X Fedtschenkoana. Dottie is Orangeade X Basye’s Legacy (77-361), so they contain Fedtschenkoana, Moschata abysinnica, Rugosa rubra, Carolina alba, floribunda and hybrid perpetual. All are blush to deep, bright pink, semi double to single, all seem to set hips and most are deciduous. Kim

Hey Kim, it’s been a while since I’ve read your posts… So is your Dottie Louise hybrid thornless? How’s the foilage since it’s heritage is so full of different leaf morphologies…

Im curiou as to about R. laxa, Enrique stated that it was repeat blooming but my litriture states its as flowerig once. Is my litriture wrong? and do F1 generation hybrids of R. laxa express repeat blooming in where the other parent repeats?

Im curiou as to about R. laxa, Enrique stated that it was repeat blooming (Re: R. fedtschenkoana Ploidy)

but my litriture states its as once flowerig. Is my litriture wrong? and do F1 generation hybrids of R. laxa express repeat blooming where the other parent repeats?

Rosa laxa definitely repeats its bloom. Therefore, if the other parent repeats the progeny will also repeat their bloom.

THERE SEEMS TO BE DIFERING OPINION ON THIS (see Im curiou about R. laxa) THINK I MAY NEED TO DO SOME INVESTIGATING