R. clinophylla

Last Fall, Gene was distributing seeds that he received from Viru in India, including seeds of R. clinophylla (R. involucrata). This species is tropical in nature and has been assessed as potentially of value in breeding heat tolerant roses. It is closely allied to R. bracteata. These R. clinophylla seeds germinated enthusiastically. Assuming these all survive to maturity, I will have about 15 plants, which is at least 10 plants more than I wish to keep. Anyone who has an interest in working with this species should contact me (email) and I will arrange distribution of the excess seedlings when they are ready (June?)

Paul

Paul put me down on the “no priority” backup list. I would probably have to keep it in a pot and move it into the garage each winter. My main interest is to use it a source of “new” diplod genes in general; not to breed heat tolerant roses - thus others should probably have a higher priority position.

Thank you for the offer.

Henry,

So far, you are the only one to request a plant, and so I think it would be no problem to assure that you get one. I agree that the heat tolerance thing is not all that important, and that its cold tolerance can be improved through selection in further generations. Imagine crossing it with a diploid Rugosa!

Paul

Me too

Paul I would like to get one or a few if possible. Will pay post costs.

More directions if you agree.

I am breeding for adaptability and heat tolerance. So am quite curious.

Pierre Rutten

French Riviera

I would love to work with R. Clinophylla. Please put me on the list.

Baxter

I realize I may be late, but if there are any seedlings left put me on the list. I work with species roses a lot and think this rose would be good here in my garden south of Atlanta. I’ve also sent an email. Thanks!

It is impossible for me to even think about live plant imports into Australia, but if seeds of this species, or R. leschenaultia become available, I would be very interested.

Rod

I wanted to post a followup about the R. clinophylla seedlings I have growing in the greenhouse. It seems that this species likes to bloom early; many of them are forming blossom buds as soon as they reach about 3 inches tall! I wonder if this will lead to easy remontancy in its offspring?

Paul

Paul,

I found my technical papers that mention hybridizing with clinophylla - two by M.S. Viraraghavan, and one by N.C. Sen. The most recent is by Viraraghavan and it is by far the best reproduction. Let me know if you would like a copy.

Baxter

I will e-copy anyone who is interested. Let me know.

Baxter,

I would indeed, thanks! I think my email addy should show above. If not, let me know and I’ll supply it directly.

Paul

Hi Baxter,

I would very much like copies of info on R. clinophylla hybridizing.

Thanks

Rod

If you still have seedlings, I would very much like to test them for a number of possibilities here.

FWIW, R. bracteata is winter hardy here (evergreen, in fact.)

Ann

Hi Baxter, Could you add me to that E-mail list please.

I would appreciate any research information on work carried out with species hybrids.

Thanks,

Jinks

My E-mail: a_rose_man@yahoo.co.uk

If there is any seed or bud wood and information still available I would be interested please advise me as to any costs.

If you still have extra seedlings unclaimed, I was interested in seeds earlier but missed out. I am not so much interested in heat tolerance as water tolerance. I read somewhere that clinophylla likes bogs more than other roses, and I live in a town that used to be called Marshfield due to its rainfall/flooding.

Thanks,

Jaime McD.

A little update on the little r. clin. plant you sent me, Paul. It is doing beautifully! I love the small shiny densely packed leaves. The plant has been in full Arizona sun since it came here and did fine when the temps dipped to 27 and did not drop it’s leaves. Of course, it hasn’t seen the summer yet. Picked up a bit of mildew, but other than that, it’s very healthy. Thanks!

Have you seen much variation in the seedlings you have kept?

PAUL, I am Pawan Singhania, Kolkata, India. I was a member of RHA long time back and have some original information on Clinophylla. I would like to receive some seeds or seedlings of Clinophylla that you have.

Dear Baxter
Can you please share the technical papers on clinophylla, you referred at my email ID: biogrow@vsnl.net

Friends, I am back to the RHA, after a long gap of nearly 2 or 3 decades. I was a member of RHA and have contributed number of articles in our journal. However, I have keen interest in Rosa involucrata (syn. clinophylla) and would like to share some information from past.
Rosa Clinophylla was originally collected by Late Shib Prasad Banerjee, staying in Calcutta (now Kolkata), India. I was a young lad then. He had planted them at the bank of a pond (in my uncle’s garden) as this would prefer to grow under damp condition. It would rather be unsuccessful under drier condition.
The interesting characters of this species are as follows:

1. This is perhaps the only species of Tropical condition.
  2. It flowers during March/April in Kolkata, by when it becomes pretty hot and humid. While all the garden roses finished blooming during winter Dec. to Feb. Clinophylla starts blooming.
  3. It had a strong fragrance, resembling that of jack fruit.
  4. Its stems is brittle and would snap easily unlike other roses where you need to twist to break it from the plant.
  5. The stem had reddish brownish colour.
    I could not get any plant from him then but I had mentioned its possible use in creating roses for Arid, semi-arid, tropical and sub tropical regions of the world in one of my papers Genetics and Rosa where we need roses which can grow in hot humid conditions, under water logged or damp conditions and this species has the potentials.
    I received a plant from Dr. Viraraghavan numerous years back, but its only this year that it has flowered profusely and has kindled my interest again in the species roses. But, I have my following observations of the species that is presently growing with me:
  6. This does not seem to be the same species which I witnessed collected by Mr Banerjee. Mr. Banerjee, had however given some plants to Mr. N.C. Sen. Dr. Viraraghavan collected one from him and he also collected some more strains from different places. The species that he gave me appears to be a hybrid between involucrata and bracteata.
  7. this does not have that reddish brown colour and the stems are pubescent (like that of bracteata), hence, the possibility that it should be hybrid between the two. But, this needs to be confirmed by Dr. Viraraghavan.
  8. This is not as strongly fragrant as the one from Banerjee. This has mild fragrance.

However, I would like to share the seeds of it (if it forms this season - I never saw one in the past), if anyone. is interested.
Now, a few words on breeding with it.
This is a diploid species.
I think, something good can evolve, if it is hybridized with the musk rose ‘Prosperity’ which is triploid. As in triploids, the pollen will make 14 chromosomes and the ovules will have 7, a cross between prosperity x clinophylla should yield diploid varieties only. For more details on this subject, I would refer you to my paper and the studies made by Dr. Major C. C. Hurst.

I am in the process of collecting more species (and I need your help). Please communicate here on this forum or on my email ID: biogrow@vsnl.net