R. bhutan?

Does anyone have any information on this one?? The only thing I can find is that it has yellow blossoms and blooms once.

It’s a beauty. It’s very tropical looking, glossy dark chocolatey green foliage. I was really smitten with it when I saw it in Cliff Orent’s collection.

I’ve never seen it bloom. It’s obviously very vigorous. I would guess the potential size is quite large. Unfortunately I noted mildew on it here in an area that had some shade and restricted air circulation.

I’d guess it’s diploid but that’s only a guess.

Thank you Robert. This is one that I obtained several years ago based on a decription of it that included the yellow blossoms and as you wrote, glossy dark chocolatey green foliage. I obtained it as a small plant and it died shortly afterwards. I’ve never been able to find out anything else about it other than it was discovered near the kingdom of Bhutan in the eastern Himalayas.

On another thread where there was discussion of R. glauca and R. xanthina crosses and the possibility of purple leaves/canes with yellow-peach colored flowers. I wonderered how a cross of R. glauca and R. bhutan would turn out with the combination of bhutan’s dark chocolatey and glauca’s purple leaves along with bhutan’s yellow flower color. The thought makes me want to locate it and purchase it again.

Does anyone know where to find this one?

I should have wrote dark chocolatey colored canes…

HMF lists two sources.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=21772&tab=16

Thank you again Robert. :slight_smile: I just put myself on a waiting list for bhutan from Rogue Valley Roses. I think I obtained it from Heirloom Old Garden Roses years ago but didn’t see it on their online catalog.

I was wondering about the cold tolerance of this one. It certainly has a tropical look about it.

You have a good point there Robert. The winter hardiness is probably questionable. The high valleys in Bhutan are described as having ‘cold’ winters but who knows where in Bhutan this species was discovered or how cold is cold.

While searching the net I came up with another one to put on my wish list, R. alabukensis or even more so, Rosa alabukensis ‘Flore-Pleno’. Should be fairly winter hardy coming from Russia and surrounding countries. Pretty yellow blossom, the single or the full, with dark colored canes.

HMF lists a Canadian supplier who doesn’t deliver to the US anymore. Too bad…

Regarding R. alabukensis, I discovered the one I call ‘Flore-Pleno’ in a batch of seedlings that came from Joan Monteith.

Clones of this species apparently originate from those distibuted by Kim Rupert when he was working as a volunteer at the Huntington Library and Botanical Garden.

He sent some to Joan and she disseminated seedlings.

I think Peter Harris told me it has black spotted for him.

I have seed planted now using Flore-Pleno’ as pollen parent.

Purported tetraploid.

I didn’t realize that R. alabukensis ‘Flore-Pleno’ is yours Robert. What an awesome find on your part. It sure has a wonderful globular bloom form. Good luck with this one. Do you have plans on marketing this one at some point?

Hi Rob, I imagine demand for a species like alabukensis would be very limited. I just gave away the last of my single flowered forms to a local rose auction.

I’ll probably make ‘Flore-Pleno’ available to breeders and collectors on a limited basis unless a commercial entity contacts me and has interest in taking it up.

I don’t know anything about this species other than what is listed in HMF. Out of curiousity, why do you think that demand would be limited for this one? If it is winter hardy, fairly disease resistant and tetraploid I would imagine there would be interest at least for breeders. Could you see ‘Fore-Pleno’ being desireable in the garden?

You could be right. I live in a warm Winter area and the season for this once bloomer is very short.

The original plant is in a 2 gal. container. This species has a tendency to spread underground.

The single form can apparently be aggressive suckering and volunteering a distance from the original specimen.

I suspect the double form is less aggressive. I’m primarily retaining it for use as a pollen parent.

If the species is susceptible to blackspot, that would limit interest as well.

Thanks for telling me more about this one. I hope it doesn’t exhibit too much BS so there is some interest in it, if not for the garden then for breeding purposes. It’s neat that you have come up with a new species/species hybrid. The photo of the double form is only partially open. Is the bloom form very OGR looking?

Peter Harris told me alabukensis exhibited blackspot for him.

The form is exactly as you see in the photos, globular. It doesn’t progress much past that point before it shatters.

There is a linseed oil sort of fragrance. I think it’s beautiful. I wanted R. hemisphaerica for years. This form looks similar.

I was thinking that it looked similar to hemisphaerica. It sure has a nice yellow coloring that would be nice to pace on. It’s a shame about the BS. What kind varieties are you using the pollen on? Using it on a kordesii might eliminate some of the BS problems while bringing the yellow through.

I’ve never smelled linseed oil and wasn’t sure if that was a pleasant or unpleasant fragrance.

The only thing I put it on last season was Riverbanks but I did get seed. I probably only had 4-5 flowers max.

Linseed oil is not a particularly good fragrance. Strangely some of the fragrances I consider unpleasant like that of R. fedtschenkoana blend very nicely and become wonderful when hybridized as is the case with damascena bifera.

I hope you can bring some yellow into your riverbank line with this cross.

You are so right about some unpleasant fragrances blending very nicely when hybridized. Good luck with your ‘Fore-Pleno’ Robert.

Perhaps the double flower form and maybe even the difference in suckering identifies a hybrid origin for your seedling, Robert - and maybe that could also account for the black spot, especially if it’s only that seedling exhibiting it. Is that the one Peter tried? It certainly is a lovely thing, regardless of any shortcomings it may have. Do you use fungicides on your plant?

I can also attest that linseed oil is an odd fragrance in a rose. It reads as pretty much entirely non-floral to my nose. It might be responsible for some of the more exotic fruit components in modern rose fragrances from the advent of the Pernetiana, and I’d be very interested to learn what its contribution is to the Damask profile one day. Fortunately, there is a lot of that kind of science being done in the world of fragrance and olfactory perception.

Sorry, I just noticed that it’s a “desert rose garden” - so naturally, you wouldn’t have to spray for black spot! Do introduce it, though; it only has to be marginally better than R. hemisphaerica to prove worthy of general, if limited, cultivation, without even considering the breeding potential (if any).