R. arkansana seedling: info posted.

A while ago someone asked me if I had any luck making crosses with R. arkansana into the Gallicanae section. This is what I can tell you. See URL:

Link: paulbarden.blogspot.com/2010/05/74-07-01-tuscany-superb-x-r-arkansana.html

Very nice Paul!

Have you tried the cross in the reverse? I know that the native tetraploids can be very reluctant to accept foreign pollens, but I did have pretty good seed set once using pollen of gallica on carolina. I still have a seedling from that cross but like you mentioned, they weren’t the most vigorous. I think that backcrossing to either parent has a good chance of restoring acceptable vigor, from what I’ve been observing with somewhat analogous hybrids of native tetraploids with moderns.

I look forward to seeing where this seedling takes you.

Thanks for posting.

Tom

I am trying a similar cross of R. virginiana with Tuscany both ways though my target is to transfer virginiana’s disease resistance while preserving the petal count and color of Tuscany. The down-side of virginiana is the extreme suckering but this could be an advantage for ground cover roses.

I already have a few seedlings of Veilchenblau, Amadis and R. moyesii on virginiana, so it seems to be pretty amenable to out-crossing. For remontancy I’m trying crosses of those with some Lynnie OP seedlings with the idea of mixing them up down-stream. I’ve also spread around the Morsoul pollen that Paul sent to me.

As the first flush winds down I’m looking over my list of crosses and it really strikes me how profoundly my breeding philosophy has changed since I started hanging around with this crowd.

Yes… me too… aint evolution grand :slight_smile:

Don… Watch Amadis… it mildews badly here.

Paul,

That is a great cross. I

Paul G.,

Curiously, my seed grown specimen of R. arkansana***** get no mildew whatsoever, even though it is in a rather challenging spot in the garden with poor air circulation. It has spread by suckering to form quite a mass over ten years, and I can dig and ship suckers if anyone is interested.

I currently have two very very vigorous seedlings from last year’s pollinations: R. arkansana X ‘Carlin’s Rhythm’, the latter being a Kim Rupert hybrid out of ‘Lilac Charm’ and ‘Basye’s Legacy’. Only 6 weeks old, I am already moving these two up into gallon cans today. I wouldn’t be surprised if these make it to three feet by the end of the season. You can bet these will end up in breeding.

Paul B.

***** seed provided in 1998 by Cheryl Netter who collected it from local plants near her home in Colorado. She also provided me with seed of R. virginiana and I have one very attractive mature specimen from that seed as well. Unfortunately my R. virginiana does not seed seed, not even open pollinated.