R-15 in Canada?

There are some stunning roses posted here, including offspring posted on HMF; a consequence of crossing with R-15. Am I wrong to assume that this rose is likely to produce beautiful offspring?

I took note of its frequent use as pollen parent, but how would it fair as a mother? Anyone know where I may access this rose in Canada?

Dee, I don’t know where you live. The Morden station did have R15, and someone was trying to get it started in western Canada. Perhaps that person will have more information about its availability.

The seeds are very difficult to germinate, and my (therefore quite limited) experience with seedlings from R15 as a seed parent has not been good. I would really like to get a healthy plant from selfed seeds, since it might be possible to recover repeat blooming that way. But I’ve never had a healthy seedling from such seeds. R15 is cane-hardy down to about -20F. Below that temperature it freezes to the snow line.

Anyone is welcome to use it in breeding. It’s a good rose, and has very good pollen, and I’d very much like to see something good come from it. I continue to use it every year, and I do have some interesting (but not commercially valuable) results from it.

Wouldn’t it be funny if the best result were to come from R15 as a seed parent?

Peter

Dee,

A couple of years ago I sent cuttings of R15 I collected at the Morden Research Station to Brentwood Nursery, Victoria, B.C. for them to propagate. They successfully rooted one plant and are planning to propagate it this year. Hopefully, plants will be available from them in the fall or the spring of next year.

I think it’s likely R15 still exists at Morden, so you could also contact them for this material. Communication, however, tends to be slow and eratic from them.

Peter, I live in Ontario. Thanks for the info!

Paul, what about Aicha? A friend said it’s not easy to come by :frowning:

Is there a hardy & disease resistant yellow rose I could possibly cross with gallicas, portlands and Explorers? It would be nice to achieve some yellow in my experiments. Any suggestions?

Dee,

For obtaining ‘Aicha’, check with Corn Hill Nursery located in New Brunswick. I seem to recall Bob Osborne, the owner, in his book Hardy Roses featuring it with an accompanying photo. If he doesn’t have it, then I don’t think it can be found in Canada.

A cold hardy, disease yellow rose to use for breeding with Gallicas, Portlands and Explorers? First of all, forget the first two. You would be working with two types of roses that aren’t known for their disease resistance. There might be some potential with Explorer cultivars, but theoretically you would have to have F2 progeny to recover the yellow colour in a fair quantity of seedlings. For example, if you used ‘George Vancouver’ x ‘Morden Sunrise’. Keep in mind that ‘Morden Sunrise’ has disease problems in warm climates. Even in cold climates it can mildew in late summer.

There are cold hardy, disease resistant yellow roses but only if they are grown in cold climates. For example,‘Hazeldean’ and ‘Yellow Altai’. These cultivars are also only once blooming, although in warm climates (even at Morden - 3b) ‘Hazeldean’ can repeat its bloom in late summer/early fall. ‘Prairie Peace’ might have more potential, since it blooms relatively well in late summer/early fall.

For developing cold hardy, disease resistant yellow roses that would also be suitable (have good disease resistance) for growing in warmer climates, I think there are two avenues to pursue that have potential to obtain this objective. However, it means starting or nearly starting from scratch.

1. Developing a ‘Schneezwerg’ (or other white Rugosa) x Rosa wichurana breeding line (this direction of the cross will produce more upright shrubs than the reverse direction). Rosa wichurana mixed with Rosa rugosa has a history of adding disease resistance, especially if an amphidiploid (Rosa kordesii) is developed. Since the breeding line will have white flowers, they can easily be painted yellow by crossing with yellow cultivars.

2. Developing yellow rose breeding lines having Rosa beggeriana, Rosa fedtshenkoana or Rosa laxa in their parentage or pedigree. I’m always impressed with the toughness and disease resistance of these three species. It’s unfortunate they haven’t been used more in breeding programs.

Last year I crossed Rosa laxa with ‘Hazeldean’, ‘Prairie peace’ and Rosa spinosissima altaica and am just starting to have germination. I’ll likely work with Rosa beggeriana and Rosa fedtchenkoana in the same respect this year. The next step would be injecting these near species hybrids having yellow colour into yellow cultivars to see if breeding lines with increased disease resistance can be developed. I’ll let you know in about 10 years time (smile).

\

Hopefully some of the R-15 hybrids that I have developed and also sent to others will be successful in Canadian climates. A problem is that it appears difficult to ship actual plant material to Canada. The alternative is to send open pollinated seeds of the R-15 hybrids. However, so far no one from Canada has responded when I have offered them.

Mildew on ‘Morden Sunrise’? I will cancel my order for this one. I can’t abide any more mildew. Thanks for this information.

That’s too bad about the mildew problem with Morden Sunrise. Its never had mildew in my environment, but then mildew does not seem to be a problem here.

Robert, you will just have to wait for one of my Morden Surnise x Home Run seedlings to make it!! Hopefully Home Run will bring in better disease resistance.

Liz

Liz, I would LOVE to try one of your Morden Sunrise x Home Run seedlings!

I am weeding out parents here and trying to keep room for only the cleanest of the clean but you know how that is.

I wouldn’t have anything here I could use were I to toss out anything that wasn’t perfect!

I’ve started disbudding any new seedlings I want to keep in hopes they will put on my vegetative growth before our real heats sets in.

I keep hanging on to old seed parents as the new prospects aren’t large enough or don’t have an established track record.

I have not really started making crosses yet, probably things will get going in another 1-2 weeks. I have made a few crosses using Baby Love as the pollen parent onto Loving Touch and Teddy Bear. I ordered a few more minis in this spring from a BC grower and they arrived ready to bloom. My Baby Love had overwintered in my garage and started to get going too early for our spring and spent a month or so in the house. Otherwise I would not have any crosses made yet.

As for the Morden Sunrise x Home Run seedlings, keep your fingers crossed that one of them meets the grade!!

Paul,

I was hoping to use gallica and portland roses specifically for their old-garden-style blooms and complex forms. For northern climates, I