Propagation of these roses

I ordered a few more roses to my growing collection. These, according to HMF, have few if any, descendants. That can be a good and a bad thing. But the real question I have with these older roses is how to go about propagating them. I’m assuming that since they are from the 19th century that they were probably grown via cuttings.

I have very little experience with budding. I have what some would call a professional mist system at my house. Can any of you offer advice on which the preferred method would be?

Gr

I have what some would call a professional mist system at my house.

Seems like a no brainer then. You might use the potassium salt of IBA to induce root formation if you can get it. The K salt is more soluble and gives better results. This was used successfully to root Sericea mallet cuttings in a mist system, a very difficult thing to do.

Seems like a no brainer then.

I though about my question after I posted it.

PhytoTech Labs has the K-IBA. Thanks.

Cuttings sound great. I rooted ‘Ducher’ and it was easy. K-IBA is nice. The key difference like Don said is it is much more soluble in water. Dip and Grow and other liquid versions use the cheaper IBA that needs ethanol to get it into solution and the ethanol can cause damage.

I rooted some R. sericea hybrids years ago and other difficult to root roses like Peter Harris’ R15. An additional key is to minimize leaching of nutriends over the extended period of time it takes to root the cutting. If you can keep the humidity high without a lot of water running through the system taking the nutrients out of your cuttings over time that would be better.

With a mist system you can also do stenting. I did that a number of years ago and propagated a number of difficult to root hybrids like ‘Kilwinning’, ‘Prairie Peace’, ‘Aurora’, etc. I did a whip and tongue graft onto some long canes of a hybrid musk I had around. I had a 4-6" stem section I pulled the leaves from and deeyed of the rootstock and whip and tongue grafted a 3-4" scion on it with a couple leaves. I took off extra leaflets if there were too many. The graft healed fast and the rootstock roots well anyways. The leaves provided photosynthate to heal the graft and help with rooting. The buds of the scion started to grow out after rooting and things were healed enough. I used parafilm to wrap the graft.

David

David,

Thanks for the advice and information.

Jeff

I rooted some R. sericea hybrids years ago

David, were these your own hybrids?

Gruss an Teplitz is one of the easiest to propagate from cuttings. No special techniques required.

Indigo suckers like a mad thing, if you are willing to wait till it starts self-propagating. If you want suckers, feel free to stop by and dig up a few dozen!