Propagating experiment

I have read with interest some comments on another forum about these cloning machines that use a pump and spray a hormone laced solution on the stems of the cuttings suspended over the liquid.

Has anyone conducted an experiment of this method vs the more traditional way of a growing medium, albeit soil or some other medium? If so, what results were obtained? Is the root growth obtained from the liquid medium adequate to support further growth when potted up?

John,

I don’t know if you’ve read my comments on the other forum (if its the same forum I suscribe to). I built an ‘aero cloner’ (actually I built 3, with the last coming closest to the original design and kept 2 with the other being a gift).

I am still working out the “bugs” in the cloner/propogating. I am getting great callusing, but something seems to be holding back root initiation. I recently tried to dip some cuttings in rooting hormone to see if that helped. Jury’s still out on that.

My percentages are low, but I was 0% with the baggie method and this summer out of 20 cuttings in peat pots covered by a large plastic bag I managed to root 2).

Is the root growth obtained from the liquid medium >adequate to support further growth when potted up?

If I get roots initiated, they have done fine*. Simply pot the cutting with small roots into your pot, water freely, and then cover pot to retain humidity. Let the pot get slightly dry before watering again.

*I have two cuttings of a florist rose that have rooted (one with fairly impressive roots). But the bud eyes inside the leaves seem damaged, so I’m not sure how it’s going to put on new growth unless it will throw a sucker.

Chris Mauchline

Chris

I had read your comments on the GW - some good ones. Will be interested in hearing your results later this spring on your cloner. I spose the ultimate test would be to have the same number and variety of cuttings in both mediums – the “aero-cloner” and in a more traditional medium and then compare resuts after a specific period.