Prairie Princess descendants

I was looking at the lineages of some of the roses I have when I noticed something. Of the twelve Buck roses I have, 5 are first generation descendants of Prairie Princess and 6 are second generation descendants. Only Iowa Belle is not descended from PP. I also have Morden Centennial, which is a first generation descendant and I have an OP plant of MC, which would be a second generation descendant as well. This was not planned, it just happened. I purchase plants that came highly recommended or were doing well at the nursery when I bought them. I don

I strongly believe in line breeding. You’ll note it often happens serendipitously as certain parents are prepotent for characteristics we desire and show up time and time again in lineages.

‘Prairie Princess’ obviously has a lot to offer.

Hi Robert,

I agree, I

That’s a good point about the Explorer series.

“L83” is another great example of intensive line breeding.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.44090&tab=1

Pinocchio and Peace are prime example we all know. Theyre, in essence, the blueprints of their respective classes, especially when one considers that they are a merging point between the development of new classes (FL and HT) and the Pernetianas.

I can see how Prairie Princess would be a new spin on the same essence.

From the Explorers, and how they relate to Prairie Princess, is a whole ton of crossings with New Dawn – another archetype.

I personally try to avoid roses like this because I have limited resources, so I want to be sure I go for angles unique to myself and of specific, core interests. But I think using roses such as these has a lot of advantages, too.

I also believe in line breeding, like Robert adds, because sometimes extremely specific traits are only found in a small handful of roses. So, if you estimate that into play, as well as the fact that not all roses make for virile parents, then sometimes line breeding is an excellent route to take.

Okay, I found what I wanted to add. So, I was looking at Chorale this winter. It is similar in lineage to Prairie Princess. I wanted to work with something that had Morning Stars close in its lineage because I thought that would be a good way to produce a fragrant, white and healthy true white climber. I think that all of the white climbers on the market are non-aesthetic, so this has been a goal of mine. In my mind, they do not fit the picture of what a white LCL should be. So, Chorale is similar to Prairie Princess in lineage except that the female parents (Margy vs. a Queen Elizabeth line breed) are different. I’m not too fond of Margy. The third scenario in this picture is Prairie Flower, which also has a different female parent (Rose of Tralee x x Queen Elizabeth). So, it has some kordesii in it. But it looks boring and has too much red pigment for what I want.

I can only hope Chorale is anywhere near as fertile or anywhere as near as healthy as Prairie Princess is.

I guess the question that I have regarding line breeding is how far do you take it? How many back crosses or self crossings can you do? When should you bring in new material? When the line starts to lose vigor or disease resistance?

You

"When should you bring in new material? When the line starts to lose vigor or disease resistance? "

Either, or both, yes. But I think “loss of vigor” is a bit of a false mythology that is too widely taken as fact, when I don’t think it is always the case. There are many examples of excellent roses resulting from line breeding, and in these instances I suspect the breeder made sure to select for health and vigor above all.

I kept an OP seedling of Morden Centennial because it has better winter hardiness than most of my other roses and even Morden Centennial itself. On a whim I grew a few (less than ten) OP seedlings of it as well. All of them had very little vigor and none were an improvement over their mother, so I culled them all. It was such a small sample it