Prairie Clogger

Does anyone have any experience with this rose? How is it as a plant and as a parent? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

I used Prairie Clogger for a brief period nearly 10 years ago. The only thing I remember about it was that it was not female fertile (at least for my attempts) and I seem to recall some susceptibility to blackspot. It was not hardy for Zone 3.

I hope this helps a little.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for the info.

Do you have Champlain? If so, how would you compare Prairie Clogger to Champlain? Here in zone 4, Champlain is only hardy to the snow line and it does get powdery mildew in the fall. I can’t remember how it was for BS though.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have grown Champlain for many years. It is crown hardy in Zone 3 with just a couple inches of live wood remaining in the spring, but it rebounds well most years. It is pretty much a non-stop bloomer and a very nice size–definitely a front-of the-border type of rose in our climate. I say this because a friend saw it in Pennsylvania and said it was 5 feet tall there–she couldn’t believe it was Champlain! I consider it a true warm red, by which I mean that it seems to lack the blue undertones of so many of the reds that fade pink. As you noted, it is definitely susceptible to powdery mildew in the fall–I always considered it my marker plant for mildew conditions–usually the first to show symptoms. At my prior home I never had a single issue with blackspot on Champlain but since our move to a new location four years ago the new Champlain I planted is constantly plagued by blackspot starting mid to late August.

In trying to recall what Prairie Clogger was like and compare the two I think that the red color of the two cultivars was very similar, with Champlain blooms having a few more petals. I think the Champlain blooms are also a bit smaller. Both roses are stunning when in bloom. Champlain is definitely hardier for me and bloomed more frequently. I think the foliage on Prairie Clogger was more dense and upright while Champlain is a bit more open and spreading. I don’t recall any mildew issues with PC, and until recently I would have said that Champlain had better blackspot tolerance.

In one of those sort of odd recollections we keep about our hybridizing efforts I recall that in the early years of my efforts I pollinated William Baffin numerous times with many different varieties of pollen over a period of two years. The only pollen that William Baffin ever accepted and set hips with was with pollen from Prairie Clogger–two hips–just a couple seeds–and none ever germinated.

I confess that my hybridizing efforts using either cultivar has been pretty limited and it has been many years since I used either plant. I do recall that both are best used as males. Do you have Prairie Clogger and if so, does it survive in Zone 4?

Julie

Hi Julie,

No, I don’t have Prairie Clogger. It caught my eye on HMF because of the amount of flowers it produces and because of it’s parentage. I thought it had the potential to be one of the hardier Bucks because it has Prarie Pricess in it from both parents and Suzanne several generations back.

Another Buck that caught my eye is Prairie Breeze. It has the same pollen parent as Apple Jack. I haven’t heard much about it. From what I hear though, it is a pretty tough rose and a very good bloomer. It is reported to be 3’ x 3’ so it’s much smaller than AJ.

Another small red is Bailey’s My Hero. It might not put on as big of show as Champlain but each flower is fuller. It is as hardy and healthier too.

Paul