Potential parents to try

See:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TC3-4XG90DF-1&_user=10&_coverDate=10%2F17%2F2009&_rdoc=15&_fmt=high&_orig=browse&_srch=doc-info(%23toc%235159%239999%23999999999%2399999%23FLA%23display%23Articles)&_cdi=5159&_sort=d&_docanchor=&_ct=42&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=c4474b51b5ca0fddc8902db694f65e29

Link: www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TC3-4XG90DF-1&_user=10&_coverDate=10%2F17%2F2009&_rdoc=15&_fmt=high&_orig=browse&_srch=doc-info(%23toc%235159%239999%23999999999%2399999%23FLA%23display%23Articles)&_cdi=5159&_sort=d&docanchor=&

Please use the “cut and paste address” as the link is cut off (too long for the space allowed?).

Here it is again using tiny url. See link.

Link: tinyurl.com/y89qryc

Thanks Henry. That’s a fascinating article!

Maybe we all should be eating our rose petals, to benefit from the high antioxidant content.

Now I’ll have to evaluate for flavor too, when I’m scrutinizing new seedlings ;0)

I like rose petal tea. My aunt turned me on to it when I was a kid (she was into all things herbal). I passed it on to my child and he loves it too.

Red roses seem to taste the best, of course they have to be strongly fragrant. Yellow fragrant roses have a bitter aftertaste.

For me so far the best cup of rose petal tea comes from Oklahoma (better than Mr. Lincoln). I’ve been wanting to try Papa Meilland and Charles Mallerin to see how they compare.

Jon, How do you actually make the tea? I would like to try it! Robyn

It’s easy. Boil a mug of water in the microwave(or stove, whatever). Throw in the petals from a just opened/opening rose. The old fashioned rose my aunt used to use required a handful of blooms, but OK just requires one good flower. Steep for five minutes. I have found it easy enough to fish out the petals with a spoon but you could use a strainer also. Sweeten with a little sugar(or honey, which I can’t afford anymore). Properly made it will have the color of tea and a strong rose aroma.

It’s good stuff.

or this:

Jon, I checked out the recipe-I wonder why they call for distilled water…I use that in my iron! Will have to wait till next summer to try it. Thanks

Robyn, all the stuff in tap water will change the taste of any tea. Distilled water will let all the good tea flavor come out. I usually use distilled water with any herb tea that I make.

Thanks for the link Henry

Thanks Sharon, I’m sure I read somewhere that you are not supposed to drink distilled water, but I can’t remember the reason why!

Distilled water can leach minerals from one’s body.

Filtered water might be a better choice.

That was it Robert! I wonder if you could use dried rose petals in the winter for tea?