Ploidy of 'Floradora'?

Yes Paul I can look at the pollen diameter.

For curiosity’s sake, this morning I put pollen from ‘Floradora’ back onto 0-47-19 to see what happens. We can evaluate the results to see what kind of ploidy distribution we get. I doubt the resulting seedlings will be stellar, but that’s not the point; this is for the data.

Paul it will be interesting to find out what comes up.

Jadae I do that a lot myself. I reread everything I write before I post and 90% of the time I still see mistakes either in typing or I notice my brain was working too fast and my sentences seem funky for some reason.

Interesting thought on Rosa californica I wonder what the limiting factor to it being more wide spread.

Adam, Im not sure. I have serveral books stating it is native from California to BC Canada, so that includes Oregon. But I rarely ever seen it in the NW section of Oregon, which is the area I travel the most. I am wondering if it dislikes the areas with wet clay and/or temperate rainforest.

I think your probably right on your hypothesis Jadae.

In Colorado the limiting factor with the roses we have tends to be water. R. woodsii is everywhere. From the lowest average elevation 4,000 ft or so to as high up as 9,000. All other species except R. acicularis are rarer to find. They tend to hang out in small gangs around irrigation ditches or at the river bank. R. acicularis tends to take over in the mountains after 9,000 or so feet. Many of these R. acicularis seem to have a lot of R. woodsii in them so I am not absolutely certain they are not R. woodsii?

Rosa acicularis is everywhere here. But there is a huge problem. The issue is that Parks and Recreations (both city and state) love using it everywhere they go. Anyone familiar with Oregon knows that we have parks and other sorts of land devoted to people and wildlife everywhere. So, I am unsure whether the Rosa aciularis here is from man or if its feral (or both!). If it is the former then it is easily becoming naturalized here.

At least they are using a native species. Sorry for taking over the thread.

What do R. roxburghii seedlings look like? Is there anything distinctive about them?

I can take pictures & post them next week. My R. rox is surrounded by several hardy diploids including Dr Kuska’s rugosa/aciculars ops. These produce especially thorny seedlings. I still have one or two only because they’ve rooted through their pots & I’ve let them be. The thorns are vicious. My seedling with Therese Bugnet is beautiful, relatively smooth stemmed & airy with the frondy leaves. I tend to toss out the thorny ones in the early weeks of germination, but keep the ones that look interesting. The major proportion of R. rox seedlings are not winter hardy in zone 5, even when bred with hardy roses.

You have to remember that R. rox may breed with roses, but it’s not something the average rose grower would recognize as a rose. Many of it’s seedlings exhibit the frondy leaaves of 11 plus leaflets. Some do not.

Simon, is there a particular reason you don’t post your e-mail? I would have been able to get the pictures to you sooner.

I never think about it… I’ve just added it. Thanks Lydia. I look forward to seeing the photos.

Sorry Simon

My brain is not engaged. E-mail me with your address & I’ll attach an existing picture.

what is it?