Patent Genius

I found a new (to me, at least) patent site.

Ive found Google Patent superior to the US site, but with this third site, I can triple check and see if one has a rose covered that another has.

For example, with Google Patent I found information on Sterling Silver that the US site refused to show. (I found out that the other half of it’s parentage is of similar lineage as Morning Mist

The site is at:

I find it nice because Google Patent is extremely difficult to cut and paste from to send information to HMF, but this site makes it easy.

I’m convinced, Jadae, that many hybridizing records are purposely misleading.

Why?

Well… it’s a money thing, I’m thinking.

It’s selfish in my opinion, but understandable.

I like to submit alternative parentage to HMF whenever I find them. Of course, I cite them.

But when you notice two different parentages as often as I’ve found… it makes you say, “It doesn’t matter.”

Sometimes I wonder why we must hybridize… centuries ago, people just grew OP seeds. And got good results. And unless the breeding is for extreme novelty (persica, stripes, fragrance types…)

Why should we truly hybridize. I find it more fun to grow OP as the years go by. Perhaps this is because I’m more busy as of late. But I notice once in a while real nice seedlings. I don’t keep them all, but I have one that’s looking like a gem… an op Pillow Fight with deep pink flowers and red canes. I maybe a seedling with Lynnie.

But whatever.

People will go crazy trying to figure out parentages… and the only sure way to figure out is through DNA tests. And that is way to costly.

It happens. It’s usually obvious. For example, I doubt we’ll ever know the full parentage of Danae. But I still use it. However, the more I know, the more likely I can figure out why something may have happened. Also, you can follow patterns. For example, I know it is likely that it is not all that difficult to get light pink to white colors when using Sheer Elegance as a parent. As another example, I know that using the Bright Smile lineage, in general, is usually more safe to use as a pollen parent than a female parent.

Obviously, there are only select patterns that can be found, but I enjoy finding them and find the excess of information useful.