old Cross-generic hybrids thread that may be of interest,

Old Cross-generic hybrids thread that may be of interest,

Link: forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hybrid/msg1214135122725.html?62

Henry very interesting post. At least I am not the only crazy one around here. The last two years I have tried crossing roses with strawberries and a crabapple. I did not get anything. I think part of it may be the fact that the rose I used was St. Thomas China. That rose does not want to set seed at all. That added onto the fact that it is an inter-generic cross to boot. I did do one series of crosses on Rise ‘n Shine one of these Rise n’ Shine x Strawberry did give me a little false hope because the hip began to swell. Then after about a month I came outside and saw that it fell to the ground on morning. But it did suggest to me it is possible at least.

After studying the family tree more closely I think the way to go would be potentia or Rubus. This year I am going to give rubus a try. I am going to try it on different roses however. Many of the best candidates however according to DNA trees will not bloom this year because they are new roses to me. So I will probably have to try again and then after that probably again… I do not know if I will do potentia crosses because I don’t really like that plant. Then again I have no plain for these crosses I just want to see if I can get them to cross.

Anybody else try something similar? I know Burbank had several different rose x other plant crosses. I do not think if I remember right that he was ever able to get them to flower and most failed to grow beyond a few leaves.

Lastly has anyone tried embryo rescue I know this technique was used in lilies to get trumpet lilies to cross with asiatic and other types? I was wondering if anybody has used it in roses pacifically? These crosses would be a good bet to use this technique with. I would have tried it on the hip of Rise n’ Shine x strawberry if 1. I knew how to do it exactly and 2. I had the equipment.

Adam and Henry,

You’re definitely “not the only crazy one around here” at least as long as I’m posting ;0)

I don’t typically post about my weirdest attempts because I really don’t want to hear from the naysayers. But if it’s any encouragement to you guys, I’m [still] trying to push the limits. Currently I’m trying some mixed pollen experiments among some distantly related irises, and also with Hemerocallis and Hosta. I still have lots of plans that include roses but with so many plants and so little time, you have to pick and choose. I’ll let you know if I have any successes.

Thanks for bringing that old thread back to the surface Henry. I enjoyed rereading it.

Tom {aka MemberTom in that thread}

I tried crossing with potentia for awhile but nothing came of it.

One of my most anticipated crosses this year isn’t from a rose at all. It’s a cross of Clivia x Hippeastrum.

I think there’s lots of possibilities within the 2n=22 Amaryllidaceae family. (some amaryllis, ammocharis, boophone, brunsvigia, clivia, hippeastrum, crinum, crossyne, some lycoris, and perhaps even some narcissus).

Just for the record, I tried Agapanthus x mixed clivia/hippeastrum pollen and daffodils x mixed clivia hippeastrum pollen, all fruits from these crosses aborted early on.

Last year I got a seed from Lycoris squamigera x Agapanthus. It didn’t germinate.

Somewhere down the road, I wouldn’t mind trying Lycoris radiata with Worsleya rayneri or Cyrtanthus herrei.

Genetically, Cage’s Sprekanthus hybrid has me curious.

2n=60/120 vs 2n=24

Link: www.bulbsociety.org/GALLERY_OF_THE_WORLDS_BULBS/GRAPHICS/Sprekelia/cagei/sprekanthus.html

Good luck with the crosses Jon.

So Henry what have you crossed the potentia with? I think if I have done my studying right that the hulmethia hybrids, R. spinosissima, or one of the Hesperhodos are the best bets to cross to these generas. This is purely speculation however.

Henry you definitely have piqued my curiosity with your tidbit on Malus x Rosa crosses.

I think it’s curious that the two most interesting (Malus trilobata and Malus florentina) also have the most DNA content. I take it that if one were to attempt this that you would probably want to use a diploid rose?

Link: www.hindawi.com/journals/jb/2010/480873.fig2.html

Adam, unfortunately I used “targets of opportunity” with potentilla as the pollen parents so I did not keep records of the failures (I only record crosses that take.)

I tried a blackberry on Scabrosa last season… didn’t work… might keep trying though :slight_smile: I was advised to try Potentilla with some roses too…

I thought this was interesting reading material. I find it fascinating that sometimes a hybrid with different chromosome numbers can be made.

http://www.gate.net/~rwms/hum_ape_chrom.html

The last remaining species of wild horse, Przewalski’s (sha-val-skis) Wild Horse has 66 chromosomes while the domesticated horse has 64 chromosomes. Despite this difference in chromosome number, Przewalski’s Wild Horse and the domesticated horse can be crossed and do produce fertile offspring (see reference 9).

Link: www.gate.net/~rwms/hum_ape_chrom.html

Jon, can you please email me, I would like to ask you an off-topic question, which is related to your postings here, thanks.

Well the crosses I tried this year using Rubus has either fallen off or begun to turn yellow. Except for one hip on R. foliosa but there is a good chance that it is selfed on top of my pollen. Had trouble getting to it early enough. Maybe when I grow these seeds out in the fall I will be surprised?