nuke those rose seeds

I am curious to know if anyone has ever tried placing the seeds in a microwave?

Wade, if you search the forum for “microwave” (without the quotes) you’ll find your question and a few other postings. In short, the answer apparently is Yes, but I don’t know what kind of butter goes best with the seeds once they’ve popped.

Peter

I tried this with some open pollinated seeds this year. Mainly seeds that I had way too many of in the first place. I figure most will get cooked if not all. I could not find how long you microwave seeds for so I did two batches of about 3 hundred seeds each. Both batches I microwaved for eight secound intervals so to possably limit the chance of cooking them. The first batch I did 8 of these intervals (1 minute and 4 secounds.). The secound group I did 23 of these intervals (which is about 3 minutes). Right know they are in the fidge. If I had it to do again I think I would split it up into more than two groups and did alot more different total times. But since I did not know how long to microwave them for I thought this seemed good at the time. Lastly I don’t know the seed will even grow. It is from Pink Meiliand I don’t know how good this is as a seed parent I figuring its probably about 35 - 40 percent with germination. I do have another batch that was not microwaved that i should be able to see what the germination rate is. I will let you know if I get anything, but I think if you got a dentist friend I would ask him to use x-rays instead (they do this alot with african violets, hermocallis, and strawberrys) from the very little I have read I think the microwave will kill all the seeds. The only things I have read on microwaving seeds have been abstracts that don’t give me enough information so I guess and experiment.

Has anyone tried to microwave cuttings?

Nobody will know if a seed has mutated if nobody can compare it with another.

But, I think it’s possible to propogate maybe…a lot of rooted cuttings of a variety such as Queen Elizabeth.

And microwave each cutting for intervals of 15 second inclinations. For example, the first cutting will be 15 seconds. 2nd cuttings 30 seconds. 3rd cutting = 45 seconds… and so on.

It will be easier to see if mutation has occured.

I tried to nuke stems from four o’ clock once and it does not take much to cause a complete cellular break down. The heat causes the proteins in the cells to denature. I think stems are more sensitive than seeds due to that they are not in a supended state as are seeds. Plus I also think that the stems have posiably to much water and this water when heated expands to much causes the cells to burst which would explain why stems become limp. But it might be possiable to do if you do really low intervals and maybe woodier stems and not something like a four o’ clock that i did would work better. Another thing to also keep in mind is that for the most parts of a stems contain cells that their path in life is decided they are stuck(except for some things you can do with tissue culture and some hormones that you can apply which only work for certain plants). So if you say mutate it and get some tissue to mutate you may not ever see it or it may be in a layer that you can not take advantage of because it is not the layerthat produces sex cells. Though I do know that their are people trying to produce plants via tissue culture using older tissue and not the undiffrentiated tissues but I do not know how this is working out. Seeds however contain alot of tissue that is undifferentiated. You have a greater possiablity of hitting tissue that will one day make gamets. It is always worth a try however. If you could get new superb mutation that is not found in any other rose it would be well worth it. A plant like this could possiably be the start of a hole new line.

If I where to mutate stems this way I would figure out first at what point the cuttings die at. Possiably making a curve of the data. Plotting the total time intervals on one side and the mortallity rate on the other. Then I would figure out if wher I start seeing death but still have cutting that survive and I would use this point as a maker for future microwaving. This is sort of my thinking in the seed experiment. I do like your idea because you do not have to wait so long for results.

Oh while I am thinking of it. Garden web under the hybridizing section has alot of people in their forum who know alot about this kind of stuff. You might want to pick their brains. Some of them I can’t understand half of what they say because it goes way over my head, but it is a good resource anyways. Maybe someone there has had success I still working on getting a little bit of that! Best Luck.