Nick, about your Boursaults

If you’ve o.p. seeds on them, please collect them. I really think that there is hardiness in them that our colder climate people need and they seem to be a forgotten resource.

My found Boursault survived the Easter Freeze and bloomed, so there’s something there that many, many roses lack.

Ann

Nick Weber,

For several hundred seeds/year, it is practical to individually plant sprouted seeds from the refrigerator into individual pots.

Seeds in frig are checked once/week for sprouting;

usually, only 10-15 sprouted seeds are planted each week;

this is very doable.

When planting a sprouted seed, position the seed so that the sprout is pointing upward, which is counter-intuitive.

dave

The following mentions using distilled water with hydrogen peroxide:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?SEQ_NO_115=207538

Link: www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publications.htm?SEQ_NO_115=207538

Dave,

I’m curious about planting seeds with the sprout pointing up.

Would you expand on this for me? Or direct me to an explanation?

Thanks

Rod

Rod,

The root makes a U turn, then pulls the cotyledons upward out of the seed sheath which is held in place by the soil.

Seems to be a mechanism for separating cotyledons from seed.

Seeds planted root-down probably have to go through contortions to get into proper orientation, delaying germination.

Ann -

I did find and collect 6 ripe hips on 2 plants of Mme Sancy de Parabere or is it Amadis. Either way, they are from a boursault! I am finding hips on many wonderful OGRs as well as pure teas, chinas and hybrid chinas and some more modern classes. I wonder what I am likely to see? Hopefully, with all of the great suggestions, I will be able to have a few babies to dote on next spring. Now, its off to find that small frig and petri dishes to germinate them in. However, I got a hint somewhere, that seeds of rebloomers (eg teas and chinas) don’t really need much, if any, cold activation. Best, Nick