Neem Oil

I have been researching Neem Oil tablets as an immunity (I am IgA Immunodeficient) booster. I ran into some random Indian and American abstracts that state that neem oil will null the fertility of sperm in males after 6 weeks of usage, and it will reverse after 6 weeks of non-usage. So, my question is, can neem oil affect roses? Granted sperm and pollen are very different, as are their mechanical/biological correlations. But this question really asks, “Does spraying any of the chemicals we may use on roses affect their fertility?”

Henry, have you ran into any abstracts/articles regarding this?

Title: Effect of industrial pollution at Sewri-Mumbai: II: Changes in resting period of pollen of successive flowers of Allamanda cathartic L.

Authors: Salgare, S. A.; Palathingal, Trisa

Authors affiliation: Department of Botany, Institute of Science, Mumbai, 400 032, India, India.

Published in: Advances in Plant Sciences 15(2) December 2002 2002. pages 645-647.

Abstract: “Potentiality of pollen germination in Allamanda cathartica was studied in F, F-24 and F-48 series. Pollen of F-24 series of clean area required one hour to germinate, while the pollen of the same series of polluted site did not germinate, even 10 hours after sowing. Pollen of F-48 series of Colaba area (unpolluted area) required 8 hours to germinated while of the polluted site failed to germinate even after 10 hours of incubation.”

Unfortunately the following abstract does not give much useful information (to me).

Title: Effect of some pesticides and growth regulators on pollen germination and tube growth in Vinca rosea.

Authors: Reddy, K. Jaganmohan; Neelima, P.

Authors affiliation: Department of Botany, Kakatiya University, Warangal, AP, 506009, India.

Published in: Journal of Phytological Research 14(1) 2001. pages 75-81.

Abstract: “In vitro studies with effect of three pesticides viz. Ecalux, Carbofuran & DDT and three growth regulators viz. 2,4-D, GA3 and a new growth regulator Chamatkar (Mepiquat chloride) at different concentrations and durations were used to determine their interaction on germination of pollen and pollen tube elongation in a wild species of Vinca rosea. The response of pollen was different in relation to concentration, duration of treatment and nature of chemical used. The results were statistically analysed and discussed in detail.”

Thanks for the education on IgA Immunodeficiency Jadae. I had never heard of it. No wonder your reticent to stop and smell the roses.

See: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/jhsb/jhsb/2003/00000078/00000006/art00014

Link: www.ingentaconnect.com/content/jhsb/jhsb/2003/00000078/00000006/art00014