multiflora ramblers

Has anyone used Goldfinch or Tausendschon? i’d love to get some hardy ramblers going. Tausendschon has a bunch of offspring, and Goldfinch has the beautiful Ghislaine de Feligonde to it’s credit. i’ve tried working w/ Ghislaine, but the germination rate (for me) is just terrible, and the one or 2 seedlings i get per year have been, so far, weak and don’t survive long.

Thanks, joe

Ken Nobbs used Tausendschon (and Veilchenblau) extensively with objective of creating thornless ramblers. He obtained quite a few interesting and beautiful plants.

Link: www.rosarosam.com/articles/article_index_english.htm

Do we have to worry about Rosette Disease with Multiflora Ramblers?

I’m intrigued by the prickle free nature of some Tausendschon descendants.

I’ve got five or six multiflora ramblers (some found and not identified beyond the fringed stipules) and they haven’t caught RRD (and my disease pressure is high). Their being large and wonderful bushes would have just mathematically made they at higher risk, but so far, no losses (seven years of the disease being upwind at transmittable distances).

OTOH, a rose that’s close to the real Seven Sisters, R. multiflora platyphylla, has caught RRD on two geographically separate plants in my garden, I know also of RRD infections in it once near Cincinnatti, once near Charlottesville VA…but it’s look is different in that the leaves are not at all glossy, and it seems to be/to have been more of an open vase shaped plant- easier for the vector mites to land.

I have two plants of The Gift that are larger than my late Seven Sisters, one that’s about forty feet from the most recently infected SS, and neither has caught RRD.

I think bush form is the difference.

Is Sally Holmes technically a multiflora rambler (climber)? I dont see a way that Ballerina isnt either a direct or second generation of Rosa multiflora.

Jocelen, thanks for that link. It’s quite fascinating. i read a good deal of the other material before i even got to the Ken Nobbs part.

Robert, i hadn’t even thought of the RRD, so thank you for bringing it up. i haven’t seen it here in Vermont. Though it may be rampant for all i know.

Ann, in general do you like the multiflora ramblers you have? i mean are they (i don’t know how else to put this…) pleasing to you? Fun?

Jadae, i was under the impression that Sally Holmes was basically sterile? And you’re surely right about Ballerina.

Interestingly i used Trier a fair amount last year and had high germination rate (losing many, many to mice, and a day when the door to the plastic greenhouse blew shut and toasted at least a hundred seedlings (ahhhhhh)), but this years germination rate of Trier seedlings was quite low, while other things that i’d not had much luck with, seem to be doing well this year.

As an aside, last year at least, the following had very good OP germination: Seagull, White Mountains and Trier. i’ll try breeding with White Mountains and we’ll see if it takes other pollen readily.

In any event i’ve ordered Goldfinch, Tausendschon and City of York form Pickering, despite my swearing i wasn’t going to get anything else this year.

Anyway, thanks all, and any more info is appreciated.

Best, joe

My neighbor’s Sally Holmes has set hips with seed (like 2 per hip), and Ive seen it on HMF–

I was curious because Im thinking of crossing it with Ilse Krohn Superior, but if it is RRD prone then I will take a pass.

Oh wow Im a moron, I should have taken the seed since it was probably pollenated from my roses via bees. Duh!

Interesting. I didnt know Ballerina had a climbing sport. It is apparently a repeat bloomer:

Im amazed that it isnt more widely known.

A couple of answers:

RRD isn’t in New England yet.

I don’t see much multiflora in Sally Holmes; Sally favors other ancestors more.

I really enjoy my multiflora ramblers because they are so productive and so easy going.

I’m not quite as enthusiastic about my wichurana hybrids because they take a lot more work to control size (and they have a bad habit of reaching out and grabbing with really nasty thorns (esp with speeding riding lawnmowers).

I don’t know if anyone has used Lephon Jeremias’ repeat blooming multiflora ‘Lady Carolina’. I have two and both are big and where they could easily have caught RRD; neither has. Both repeat bloom very well once they reached three years of age (and where I have them is a fence line that gets only rainwater and a bit of top soil and some grass clippings.)

My website on RRD is up, but a lot of photos aren’t working. (ISP issue when the old ISP lost our site) But the written content is there.

Link: www.rosegeeks.com

I have a thornless rootstock that I bred that surely has some multiflora in it. I decided this year to try it in some crosses with modern rose type seedlings. Ultimately, I plan to cross it with some of my R. soulieana hybrids. Hopefully, we won’t have to deal with RRD here in California - though that is probably wishful thinking.

Jim Sproul

Jim,

RRD is only in the mountains in CA. Baldo has found it along I-5 where I-5 goes over some mountains (sorry, but I don’t know CA geography well enough to remember specfics.) And some of the first RRD ever seen was at a CCC camp above Carrville.

So far, RRD isn’t in the multiflora in John Day wildlife management area up in Oregon or in the multitudes of multiflora planted along highways as crash barricades.

Those are the real problems because if it gets established there, cars may be the vectors that move the mites southward.

Rosa multiflora grows wild here too. It can be seen growing with Rosa californica and Rosa nutkana in Oregon in places not mentioned above.

As it happens, a few Geschwind HMults arrived just this past week as part of an order or roses imported from Europe:

Futtacker Schlingrose

Wodan (perhaps more of a Bourbon)

Léopold Ritter

Asta von Parpart

Ernst G. Dörell

Josephine Ritter

Prinz Hirzeprinzchen

as well as Geschwind HSets:

Aurelia Liffa

Forstmeister’s Heim

Virago

Ovid

Tolstoï

The objective is to eventually introduce some or all of these through Ashdown West.

Cliff

Which would be the cleanest of the thornless ramblers?