More on R. bracteata hybridizing

My best seedling from 2003 is 02-04-06; ‘June Laver’ X ‘Out of Yesteryear’. All this seedling got from the seed parent was color and more compact growth habit, otherwise this is most influenced by ‘Out of Yesteryear’. (A third generation bracteata hybrid) Blooms are 4" across on average, with quilled petals up to 60 per bloom. The fragrance is quite intense and is reminiscent of peaches and something else I can’t put my finger on. Although it is still 14 months old and about 2 feet tall, I hope this will build to a bush about 4 or 5 feet in size.

For those of you who aren’t yet using ‘Out of Yesteryear’ I encourage you to do so, as the offspring are often exquisite, vigorous and have excellent growth habits and magnificent foliage.

Paul

Paul, that is gorgeous!

Beautiful!

Thanks. I rather like it too! :wink:

Paul

Very pretty. For those of you in colder zones, OOY survives a cooler zone cdn5 winter.

Lydia, I’m intrigued - how well does it survive (what amount of injury? Is it merely good at bouncing back?), and to what temperatures was it exposed?

The secret to its hardiness? The thorns provide really good insulation. Without the thorns, it would have only average cold-hardiness.

Very Nice!

Paul, thanks for the tip on Out of Yesteryear. Mine is a very, very healthy specimen. However, I am having little success in gathering pollen. Is there a particular trick to increasing pollen yield for Out of Yesteryear - anything would help…

And how are the clinophylla/clinophylla hybrids coming?

Baxter

Baxter,

I have no trouble finding plenty of pollen on my plants. As the second flush of bloom comes on, I find pollen more and more plentiful. The plant will produce pollen more generously as it ages as well. Other than that, there are no “tricks” to obtaining pollen.

Paul

Stefan

I have very few roses that have retained wood over the past two winters. I’ve had severe damage on my explorers, the ones I didn’t prune severely last year, have required pruning to the ground this year. This includes William Booth & Henry Kelsey. I’ve lost complete canes to the ground on Therese Bugnet & there’s been quite a bit of damage on the stalwart Prairie Dawn. I’m letting it bloom before doing major pruning. Typically there’s damage to John Cabot each year. The Morden’s lose wood every year. It’s not so much the cold, its the roller coaster temperatures. It can be 0 C every day at noon & then go down to -30C overnight for about a week at a time.

That said, I guess the coldest its been this past winter is about -30 C & other gardeners tell me that with our cold spring we’re about a month behind with respect to perennials, so I guess you could say it’s good at bouncing back, just like the tea & Chinas. This year at least I have buds on Mme Hardy & the gallicas. Last year there was nothing.

Lydia,

I’m curious – do you grow Rosa glauca? I would guess that it would be well suited to the roller coaster temperatures that you have. It has always been one of the last roses I have, to break dormancy. It doesn’t seem to believe that spring has come, until all the cold spells are done.

Tom

Tom

I have seedlings from R. glauca that I got from a property where they have glauca on one side & no name rugosa on the other. Some of these seedlings overwintered in styrofoam cups placed in a cardboard box & insulated with discarded planting mix. Most had typical glauca foliage with no apparent rugosa input. From previous years some seedlings from the same source had green leaves, so I’m presuming that’s from the rugosa side.

I also have Louis Riel, a very pretty rose with glauca as one parent, apparently a tetraploid. It’s a bit more spreading than the species, and hasn’t gotten much height as yet, the fault of winter two years ago. It hasn’t produced op seeds, but I’ve had some germinations with its pollen on Hansa & Apricot Beauty. No blooms yet.

A plant that’s really doing well with terrific light green leaves, but alas no blooms, is a seedling of rosa “pycnacantha” from David Zlesak. It’s a possible pentaploid from Russia, but I have no idea of its correct botanical name. Seedlings of Calocarpa seem to be happy in my garden as well. Some of these are almost thornless & one is almost ready to bloom. Seedlings from Belle de Crecy are fine, whereas the Belle herself sustained quite a bit of damage this year.