Moore's '0-47-19'

A forum search didn’t do well for this one.

Rosa wichurana Cr

For more information check out Paul Barden’s blog. There is more than one post that talks about it. The most recent one is today.

You might look into using Golden Angel it is a little down the line but in its parentage R. wichurana shows up multiple times which is a plus. Plus it is a good parent from what I have heard.

I am working with 0-47-19. Ralph gave it to me several years ago to use in breeding.

What details do you want to know, Jon? Its a classic Wichurana Rambler in every way. It makes long lax canes that will travel on the ground unless trained on a support. It has the glossy Wichurana foliage one would expect and is quite good for Blackspot resistance. It frequently passes disease resistance on to its offspring, if you are conscientious about selecting for this. Its blooms are 1.5" across and five to eight petals, borne in clusters along the canes. The blooms are a warm pink when fresh but fade quickly to near white. They have a very pleasant “apple-ish” fragrance that can be detected quite some distance from the plant. It is extremely vigorous and often makes 15 foot canes every year to renew itself. It blooms in late Spring, with an occasional rare bloom here and there in the Fall. It carries one copy of the modern remontancy gene, through ‘Floradora’. It shows very little of the ‘Floradora’ influence except in the fact that the blooms have color.

It often produces a fair number of selfs in breeding, probably because its anthers release pollen before the blooms open. You have to be careful to remove the anthers, preferably quite early, before the pollen has shed. About 2/3 of its seedlings (sometimes 3/4) do not express juvenile remontancy, although a percentage of its seedlings will become remontant in year two. Many of the seedlings with juvenile remontancy tend to be exceedingly dwarf and often lack vigor. Pink is by far the dominant color of its offspring, although a percentage of other hues can happen occasionally.

Do you have other, specific questions?

Paul B.

Link: paulbarden.blogspot.com/2009/06/42-03-02.html

Thank you both.

“What details do you want to know, Jon?”

“…Ralph gave it to me several years ago to use in breeding.”

Exactly that. It doesn’t need to be lost. I thought I had seen it mentioned but I didn’t connect that with it being in your blog. Sunshine Sally and Golden Century both have that dark green wichurana ‘look’ (that so intrigues me)…I wouldn’t mind trying to take one of these further.

I ordered both of those but not Golden Angel. I looked at her and passed her over in favor of others, perhaps I should have asked sooner.

I’m sorry to report that you won’t find ‘Golden Century’ of much use in breeding. It won’t set seed, ever, and when its pollen works on one of those extremely rare occasions, the offspring are unremarkable. In fact, seedlings I have grown were indisputably junk. I won’t use it again. I can’t report on ‘Sunshine Sally’, but its certainly worth a go. Expect it to work best as a pollen parent.

Bought Golden Century about four years ago. It black spotted badly here in Richmond, VA and died out after a couple of years. Not impressed with the blooms either.

Has anybody tried Apricot Twist. It comes from Golden Angel. I have only heard of one person how said it had black spot problems all the rest of the reports I have heard have said it is one of the cleanest miniatures.

Adam,

I do occasionally work with ‘Apricot Twist’ and there are indications that it might be capable of passing on improved disease resistance. In my climate, where Blackspot can be devastating, it never, ever gets any disease, even when not sprayed.

My ‘Apricot Twist’ gets blackspot, so it does happen. I grow AT in Oregon now, and also grew it back in Connecticut. Different plants, but both got blackspot.

Link: fuzzyjay.blogspot.com

Since I’ve moved the roses to a more coastal environment, both 0-47-19 and my Inner Wheel X 0-47-19 are finally developing into climbers instead of the dwarfed plants they’ve continued being in the desert. I’d put Pride of Oakland on 0-47-19 last year and have only two dwarf, repeat bloomers from the bunch, all the rest being VERY vigorous climbers. Both of the dwarfs are white with extreme chlorophyll production in the petals so they turn rather green with age. I liked the idea of using Wich. and Floradora with Pinocchio and China Doll. It’ll be interesting seeing what they develop into now they’re finally happier. Kim

Kim,

My experience has shown that 0-47-19 seedlings are generally one of three things: 1) very dwarf repeaters, often white, some of which green as they age, 2) typical Wichurana Ramblers of which the vast majority are once bloomers and 3) an occasional shrub with large blooms on a fairly large rounded shrub. The third type is almost always a repeat bloomer and often has some color other than pink or white. Unfortunately the latter is by far the rarest of the three, making it necessary to throw out a lot of culls.

“1) very dwarf repeaters”, et al.

It seems that most wichuraiana hybrids display this characteristic, even several generations later.

I was thinking it would be fun to throw other wichuraiana hybrids after it (like Lady Elsie May or Knockout).

Thanks, Paul. I’d noticed from Ralph’s work that most his greens had come from 0-47-19, so earlier this spring, I began boinking Greensleeves with its pollen. Six hips are forming. Perverse, huh? Kim

Just for the record ‘Sunshine Sally’ has much better foliage than ‘Golden Century’. I’m excited to try it.

‘Sunshine Sally’ fades very quickly. I’ve never noted hips on it here. I suspect it might work for pollen. I’ve never noted Powdery Mildew.