Lots of Questions, part II

Hey all,

Me again. After reading articles on dominant vs. recessive genes, I grasped the fact that I would have to back breed to get many of the results I would like (i.e.; dark red, white). ** I even got this before the article told me this was necessary further on!! ** I was impressed with myself – hee, hee. I think I’m pretty straight on the colors (very simplistically of course) from reading Dubois’ article on “Pigments and Petal Colors”, Le Grice’s “Inheritance of Color”, and Lammerts’ “Inheritance of The Scarlet-Vermilion Signal Red Colors”, but I didn’t see mauve anywhere in the tables although there was mention of Tyrian Purple. I did notice that with Sterling Silver for example, it was combined with other roses as both pollen and seed parent. If this is way to difficult for me to tackle at this stage, please advise. What I’m wondering is how to classify mauve relative to dominant vs. recessive.

Next question, how do I decide which rose to make the seed parent and which to make the pollen parent? I looked at the offspring of the roses I have and some were used primarily for seed parents, others for pollen parents, and some equally for both. This tells me the experienced chose these for a reason, but I’m not sure what it is. I was going to try Honor as my seed parent. What do you think? Also as an experiment, I was thinking of using Bing Crosby as a parent in a cross as I didn’t see any offspring from this rose. Your thoughts?

I think I’ll stop here and try to digest your answers.

Thanks for your help. I’m really quite excited about trying this, but wanted a least a basic understanding of what I’m doing prior to starting.

Thanks again.

Melanie

From what I remember on the color inheritance article, I believe that colors are additive. Not sure how mauve works though.

The biggest point in picking seed parents is you need one that: 1) reliably sets hips (not all roses will set hips–try to observe which of your roses set open-pollinated hips), 2) Is willing to set hips to foreign pollen–not just self-cross, 3) produce seeds that germinate, and 4) passes desirable traits to their offspring.

If you can find a rose genetics for dummies

I think I can remember that mauve and lavender is a very dominant color. But that has been a while back. Makes since to me since many roses (mostly hyrid teas and modern floribundas) fades to the ugly “blue” tones in sun, so there is at least one gene for that color. BUT don’t take my word for it. Just an elaboration…

Enrqiue

Thanks guys. Any yes, if I find a “hybridizing for dummies” ** chuckle **, I will certainly share.

Melanie