Looking for recommendations

I’d appreciate any opinions offered on the best deep/strong yellows with at least decent disease resistance.

I had Sunflare at one point and it seemed comparatively

disease resistant (it would have leaves when the roses around it were defoliated. Bloom color was a little light and

the flowers would break down quickly.

I don’t see Sunflare offered alot (I’m sure it still out there somewhere). But I see Sunsprite offered alot. I believe Sunsprite is Sunflare’s parent. How does it compare?

Any other yellows out there that others would recommend:

Strong disease resistance?

Strong yellow?

Breedable?

The list of available mauves out there seems to have exploded. What ones are the best of the ones that are out there w/ almost the same qualities:

Strong disease resistance?

Strong mauve?

Breedable?

TIA(Thanks in advance)

Chris Mauchline

Sunsprite is superior in vigor, color and scent over Sunflare. Sunflare’s major flaw is the lack of sturdiness and the inability to stick out of the crowd. It’s kid, Eureka, is a definite improvement over it.

Solitaire is a dark yellow with salmon picotee. It is one of the healthiest HT’s out there. It sets seed well. Freedom is wonderful but is pollen only. Im trying St. Christopher this year to see. Easy Going is super healthy but not a true yellow as it is gold with a bronze hue.

A lot of the new mauves are not exact improvements overall. I still think Shocking Blue is one of the best in terms of health and it is older. Ebb Tide is on trial for me this year. We’ll see.

If you come across a yellow that you think may be a good parent, check its record on http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php

Look it up by doing a search of it by name. Then click on LINEAGE and then on DESCENDANT REPORT. If there is a lot of descendants, chances are it is really fertile and worth considering.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php

Mike,

Where did you get your Solitaire? I looked on HelpMeFind – it’s a nice-looking rose and I like it’s parentage, but the only sources listed were outside the U.S.

And I’ll second the recommendation for ‘Shocking Blue’. It’s a good old mauve and has been pretty fertile for me too.

Pickering.

Alsoto add, Whisper, Solitaire’s kid, has given me bronzy-peach and gold seedlings, too.

Chris–I was fortunate enough to get a plant of Julia Child from Tom carruth to trial a year before it’s actual release, and it was spectacular from the very beginning–very, very little disease and a color that held well in our Georgia sun. I know that Blackspot resistance is variable and location dependent–for example, Baby Love gets tons of Blackspot in my garden–but Julia Child was one of the most disease free roses in the garden, even in a year that it rained too much and I sprayed far too little. Unless it really falters elsewhere, I can’t imagine it not being the new standard in yellow Floribundas since it was so much healthier than the others I grow (including Sunsprite and Sunflare). I noticed right away that it had no BS even when everything around it did so I used the pollen already and have seedlings, though they are too young to evaluate for health. Still, I can say that it has nicely fertile pollen.

Another Carruth rose, Neptune, is a mauve that also seems to be at the top of the pack, and it’s a color class that I have tons of here to compare it to. Good flower and great health. There certainly are lots of roses coming out these days that are great improvements over earlier varieties! I find this very encouraging, of course.

If I am not mistaken, Bill Radler’s ‘Carefree Sunshine’ includes ‘Arthur Bell’ several times in its pedigree. I think you should consider it a possibility. There is always ‘Baby Love’, but so far I haven’t seen anybody release anything that didn’t look like a replica of ‘Baby Love’. Not sure what that means, but…

I would also consider ‘Top Notch’, by McGredy, which gave Tom his ‘Julia Child’ and one other Weeks rose scheduled for 2007 release. Tom is breeding many fine disease resistant roses and his work should be examined for good parents.

Paul

An OR FL was registered this month from Fragrant Cloud x Baby Love.

Julia Child seems very disease free here. Neptune, on the other hand, balls into mush and blackspots really bad here. Carefree Sunshine has First Prize and Rise n Shine in it, too. That thing had so many parents that I could not remember the lineage.

btw Selfrides breeds easily and is very healthy. The con is that it is very tall much like the newer Apertif.

We don’t get much blackspot here, but when we do, ‘Henry Fonda’ seems quite clean and is one of the best dark non-fading yellows.

Jim Sproul

Paul, may you share the parentage of Carefree Sunshine? I’ve never seen it, and I’ve always wanted to know its parents.

I’ve also had a lot of mildew on Neptune, sadly.

Carefree Sunshine parentage is in the RHA Newsletter, Summer 2001, p. 6, according to Henry Kuska. See the link below. Enrique, you were involved in this thread.

Link: www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=4478&rc=4&ui=927787057

I don’t have the RHA Newsletter-- I would like to know in the standard. (You know… X times X) All I just know that it involves a little bit of this, and a little bit of that.

I had Mellow Yellow a hybrid tea in my garden last year. It’s a very bright deep yellow that holds it’s color from bud to pedal fall, no disease problems, very clean dark green foliage. No hips produced, but here in Maine the flowering/pollination season is extremely short. Hybrid teas are treated as annuals.

Sunsprite is also a good deep yellow with no disease problems, winter hardy but is only 2 feet tall in this climate.

Although a little tricky to use as a seed parent, Carefree Sunshine passes on good yellow color. It also seems to pass on disease resistance, but last year was my first year using it, so it is too early to tell.

I would also try Prairie Harvest. It has Sunprite and Carefree Beauty as a parents and is a much better seed parent than Sunsprite. I am not sure how easily it passes on yellow, but it would be worth a shot.

I’m glad to get other people’s experiences with Neptune. I’ve never worked with this color class-which is odd since it’s the one I do work with in daylilies–but I would have put Neptune right in the program since it has done so well for me despite the humdity and heat here in Georgia (though for some reason I never have mildew, thankfully). I had forgotten about Mellow Yellow, which is a truly great garden rose here and the first to make me think that Tom Carruth had discovered a way to make disease resistant yellows. I gave a Mellow Yellow to the postman for his mother, and it has apparently done very well with absolutely no care at all (though this year I’m giving him a plant of my yellow sport of Prairie Sunrise, which I bet will do even better). But I’ve never used Mellow Yellow to breed with, so can’t comment on fertility. Arthur Bell, too, does well here and has given me many nice seedlings.

Another yellow that has been exceptional here is Brownell’s V for Victory. I just love Brownell’s work, and this rose stands up there with Orange Ruffels as being one of the best in the garden. His roses seem like a great shortcut to get wichuraiana into offspring, though in truth I’ve never gotten much back from my efforts to use them. They are fertile, though, and maybe I just work on too small a scale to see results.

Actually, with Orange Ruffels it is often a hit and miss. All my Livin’ Easy X Orange Ruffels seedlings were very disease prone, even when they were mature.

However,

Golden Angel X Orange Ruffels did a little better. I only saved one reddish seedling (think of the colors of a mature Sutter’s Gold bloom). It doesn’t have the wonderful holly like foilage, but it is disease resistant to mildew. Black spot did affect it, but it seems that it could out grow it. It has a lot of wichuraiana via both parents.

I figured that I might as well save it because it has a potential to cross other similar distantly wichuraiana related offspring.

I have Aloha and New Dawn, so it maybe interesting to cross this seedling’s pollen with on of the two. Perhaps I can retrieve the holly like foilage of Orange Ruffels via Aloha. It has similar foilage (but less attractive of the two).

Enrique, I have to admit that I’ve seen the same thing with Orange Ruffels, sort of weak seedlings and not very good disease resistance. I do have a couple of V for Victory seedlings still in the seedling beds that look okay, but nothing special, so I think there could still be hope along those lines. Brownell’s favorite seed parent, Pink Princess, has done better for me, and this year I’m going to try Country Doctor, which seems to be the best of them all in my garden as far as disease and vigor go (though it’s maybe too vigorous, especially since it likes to grow sideways). Of course it might be best to go back to Golden Glow to try for a yellow with wichuaiana genes, something I’ve planned for years–inspired by Ralph Moore–but never gotten around to.