Looking for Old Garden Rose cuttings

Kordes’ Newflora site for North America, with ratings.
http://newflora.com/product/dark-desire-rose/

I just picked up Kordes Dark Desire, Beverly, and Rose of Hope. Too early to know anything about fertility.

I had Purple Rain a few years ago, but I didn’t like it. It wouldn’t set hips, it’s few flowers were tiny, plant was 6 inches high and very thorny. I blinked and it was killed by a weed. I was glad it was gone. For that Mauve/Magenta-ish color I prefer Reine des Violettes, Souv. de Francois Gaulain, and Purpurea. None of which are perfect, but good starting points, for me anyway.

Thank you, Charles. I was trying to remember the name of Souv. de Francois Gaulain, having seen a beautiful older specimen several years ago. Wonderful arching form with mauvey cup-shaped blooms and a bluish cast to the foliage, as compared to other teas in the area. I’m glad to hear that it has worked as a parent.

You’re welcome. SDFG doesn’t arch though, more of a stiff, short and wide shrub, so you may be thinking of something else. SDFG is my healthiest and leafiest rose, with thin mauve and silver petals in large, very double flowers that struggle to open sometimes. Mild to moderate fragrance. I have several nice seedlings from it. I use it for pollen because, although it will set some hips which germinate normally, it is picky about which pollen it accepts, and it’s hips sometimes split open. Something semi-double with thick petals would be it’s ideal mate I think. It’s not perfect, but I’d recommend it to any hot weather hybridizers.

The specimen I saw was in a garden where most of the teas were in excess of 8 feet tall, and well over a decade old. To be fair, the SDFG structure started to go lax at about 5 feet, and it proceeded to arch outward from that point on. I don’t know what a smaller specimen would have looked like, but this one really struck me.

You’re probably correct then. Mine isn’t that old yet.