L83 Seeds

I have some open pollinated seeds of L83 that could use a good home if someone would like them. L83 is a germplasm release from the Explorer series and is a direct parent the roses ‘Marie Victorin’, ‘William Booth’, ‘George Vancouver’, and ‘Louis Jolliet’. L83 is a single pink rose and has been disease resistant and hardy for me. If I remember right, to develop it Svejda crossed R. x kordesii x her own version of R. kordesii (she raised an open pollinated seed from Max Graf and it was tetraploid, I think she named this seedling G49).

You can E-mail me your address directly if you don’t want it posted. There’s a few hundred seeds and I’d be glad to divide the seeds up if more than one person is interested.

Sincerely,

David

David I would love some of the seeds you have. Also would like to know how to collect seeds from the roses I have. Can you help me? thank you Helen

Hi Helen!

I’m sorry, but I sent what I had out already and don’t have anymore left.

When the hips (“fruit”) turn color later in summer or fall (from green to orange, yellow, red…) collect them. Take the seeds out of them and store them under moist cool conditions. Usually people put them in plastic baggies with peat moss or paper towel and store them in the fridge for 6-12 weeks. Take them out of the fridge and pot the seeds up and let them germinate or let them germinate in the baggies and then transplant them.

Sincerely,

David

P.S. If you make a request for seeds in the fall there will be many of us that probably would be willing to send you some.