Kathy, about viridifolia

Viridifolia is a very un-rose-bloom like rose. The ‘blooms’ don’t age, so the bush can produce a sort of spray of seven or eight blooms that are there for well over a month. The blooms require no grooming for show and the petals never look less than perfect, because there are no petals. A lot of exhibitors grow roses that are proven winners, and because viridifolia won in the past, they grow it so it keeps winning. (It’s also beloved of arrangers for odd catagories that require things like “arrangements must consist only of roses” or for all green arrangements.)

You might want to take a look at the Vintage Gardens catalog/website as they do have a vidifolia that shows partial reversion to R. chinensis.

I wonder how superficial the mutation is? If it isn’t then maybe a reversion could be used in breeding for something even more m0nst3ar0us :slight_smile: rawr, lol.

Michael,

Years ago Ralph Moore used the Green Rose Reversion in breeding, somewhat. I don’t recall whether or not he ever got seedlings from it, but I definitely recall him showing me hips on his plant of it. Mine occasionally sets hips also, but I don’t think I ever bothered to use it in breeding. I would expect that, like most mutations, the change isn’t in the reproductive tissue layer, so it probably breeds as if it is ‘Old Blush’, from which it is likely descended.

Yeah, that would be my primary prediction.

Paul, your “Ick” rose looks like Wedding Cake often did. Here’s a seedling which is tickling me this summer. It’s been quite clean and the flowers are rather “eccentric”.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.63439

Aw, Kim,

Did that film involve a bus and a road trip?

The force is really strong in your plant. Do you get any buds within that mass and do they bloom and if so what does that do to the original abscission layer?