Joans Rugosa x (modern-rubrifolia-laxa)

Roughly 2 years ago, Joan Monteith offered several seedlings that were Rugosa #3 x 1G109. I was the recipiant of several of these seedlings and I am wondering if anyone else has some and how they turned out for you.

Mine have languished in tiny pots(long story as to why) for the last 2 years and have finally been planted in the ground this spring. All are still very small and none have bloomed. The amazing thing is that 90% have survived. They seem fairly drought tolerant. They went though 2 hot summers in tiny little pots which frequently dried out. I got rid of some of them because they did not do well w.r.t. powdery mildew. Now that they are in the ground, several are growing very strongly. I may have some first blooms this year. Just wondering what they did for other people who might have given them better care.

If you read this Joan, I am wondering what your results for this cross ended up like.

I also have a Rugosa #3 x (Rugosa #3 x r. rubrifolia) that is finally growing. It spent the last 2 years in a small pot and stayed about 3 inches tall. Now that its in the sun and in the ground its growing great. Lime green foliage with a strong rugosa resemblance. Be interesting to see how it does this year.

Henry Kuska, if you happen by this post I have a question. I also have 1 seedling left from some seeds you sent 3 years ago. I think it has William Baffin in it. Its lable that I made for it has dissapeared and I cant find what its parentage is. Dont suppose you kept record of the seedlings parentage. I cant seem to find the post where you listed the seedlings. Several of the seeds were germinating when they showed up in the mail. I think they were ones that you had already had enough germinations and gave the rest away. THe one I have left is going to bloom for its first time this year. Will post some photos

I gather Joan will read this thread, so I’ll put a tangential post here…

I received some different seeds from Joan of a Mr Nash Rugelda cross. Of the four plants that I still have only one has bloomed so far. Probably the least interesting plant, to my mind. And it’s blooms are a semi-double, weak-necked, off-white having virtually no fragrance on a not-too vigorous plant – alas… I don’t yet know of its remontancy, but hope they will all be rebloomers.

I’m amazed by the diversity in the seedlings, and am hopeful that others will prove to have better blooms. One has a darker bluer foliage, another has larger, slightly more creased leathery leaves that remind me of several modern yellow teas’ foliage in color and texture…

Resistance on all seems above average thus far, though a couple are clearly not immune to BS…

Steven, perhaps this is the thread concerning the seeds that I sent:

http://www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=3276#4043

Link: www.rosehybridizers.org/forum/message.php?topid=3276#4043

Henry, I think that is the one. I read back through the conversation and visited the link to the pictures of R. acicularis Nipponensis. Though It has not flowered yet, the foliage is exactly the same as the selection on the left. 9 leaves as opposed to the 7. It has the little point to the leaf tip that the acicularis on the right does not have but the one on the left does.

I am actually rather pleased that it might be a acicularis variety. Anxious to see it bloom.

I have tried to use Joan’s Rugosa Number 3. It’s not an easy hip setter for me, and the cross expire when I use its pollen.

I’m thinking it’s something with the weather difference.

Same thing with bourbon roses… most difficult thing to work during the peak of summer.

I, however, noticed that it seems to be making OP hips at more frequency. So I think part of the reason had to be plant maturity.

I am going to try, this year, a cross of Number 3 X (kordesii X Basye’s Amphidiploid).

This will certainly create a true rugosa tetraploid–

if it the hips doesn’t die on me.