Jim (Sproul), hulthemia question...

Hi Jim,

I can’t remember whether I have asked you this before, but I was wondering whether you had ever put your hulthemia onto multiflora bushes? I have a vague memory that you had… maybe I’m imagining things shrugs If you have I was wondering how they turned out. I was trying to think what the most fertile thing in my garden was the other day and came up with my big white multiflora bushes and so splahed ‘Euphrates’ pollen around in it to see if I can get anything that might help me start along the hulthemia track. Will be once-flowreing types to start with I guess but I’m really hoping for somethng fertle to begin with given the reputation of ‘Euphrates’. The seeds of these bushes germinate very easily too so I am hoping something comes out of it? If you did it, did the blotch seem to pass on through multiflora (mine is white)? I was thinking something along the lines of a blotched hybrid musk-like rose.

Hi Simon,

Mr. Ralph Moore suggested that cross. He thought that the profuse blooming of the multifloras would be a good way to display the Hulthemia blotch. I did make that cross this past Spring, but very few hips “took”, so I am not sure that I will have anything - and as you know, it will take at least 2 years for them to bloom!

I have some other multiflora seedlings (multiflora crossed with modern roses) that I may try this next year as pollen parents crossed onto fertile repeat blooming Hulthemia hybrids. The multiflora seedings already have remontant genes, so I may get there quicker going this route.

I think that I would put ‘Euphrates’ onto whatever were my very most fertile remontant seed parents to try to find whatever few pollen grains that may be fertile. You could then select for non-blooming seedlings as your best bet for having Hulthemia genes. Just a thought.

Best wishes!

Jim Sproul

Simon,

I did several crosses using Persian Sunset on Perle d’Or. I had the idea of the persica eyes, but on very big multflora sort of bunches.

I think the biggest novelty would be a climber with huge eyes… something like Altissimo.

Or single flower hybrid teas such as Mrs Oakley Fisher.

This is one of my most anticipated crosses of this next coming season (putting hulthemia onto Robin Hood and a red Carefree Delight x RH seedling). I’m not looking so much for a blotch in this case but rather a strong unfading, polyantha-like, yellow hybrid musk.

"I think that I would put ‘Euphrates’ onto whatever were my very most fertile remontant seed parents to try to find whatever few pollen grains that may be fertile. You could then select for non-blooming seedlings as your best bet for having Hulthemia genes. Just a thought. "

I did this too… not holding out much hope of this one taking though…

I’m not working much on Hulthemia derivatives, but thought I’d show one of the few seedlings I have that exhibits the blotch.

Photo taken today.

The pollen parent was created by Jim Sproul.

This one’s got a rather bizarre lineage. It’s as much banksia as persica.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.61702&tab=1

Hey, cool photo Robert! I really like the presentation. Great color variation too. Have you noticed how weather dependent the blotch can be?

Jim Sproul

Hi Jim, yes, this blotch really presented itself now that the weather is cooler.

I may try line breeding this seedling with some of my earlier efforts. Your I89-2 is amazingly fertile as pollen parent. I just noted that it sets a few OP hips this season for the first time too.

Seedlings so far are too double to show the blotch which is somewhat ironic considering that I work with so many singles.