Jens Munk (rugosa hybrid)

Hi everyone.

I have tried to use Jens Munk as a mother parent several times but she doesn’t seem to accept any pollen. But this year I just let her do and I noticed she actually did form a few OP hips. The strange thing is, most of the flowers did not form hips at all, but the few I got were actually filled up with lot’s of seeds.
Does anyone recognize this? Would you think I have somewhere in my garden a compatible rose that the bees found or would it just be self pollination?
I’m planning to raise some of the seedlings (if I find the place), and I hope to get some more fertile and healthy offspring work with in the future.

Dane

1 Like

HMF says Jens Munk “sets a few hips” and you got a few hips…

Would you think I have somewhere in my garden a compatible rose that the bees found or would it just be self pollination?

Hopefully time will tell. A more interesting question is - why only a few and why not many?

My guess is that the ploidy of Jens Munk is unstable and/or unbalanced and it throws occasional bud sports that smooth out the ragged chromosomes. It would be a crap shoot but you could try rooting or grafting stems bearing those fertile hips to see if the fertility persists. Likewise, you could indeed expect seedlings from those seeds to probably be more fertile than Jens Munk.

1 Like