Jeanne LaJoie as a parent

I hav bred daylilies (hermocallis) for almost a decade now. I just started working with roses this yar more out of curiosity than anything. I do have a goal in mind. A rose that is drought tolerate mini and powdery mildew resistant. I choose Jeanne LaJoie because it performs well in my climate where other roses die off. I was just wondering what kind of children it produces.

Adam, welcome to rose breeding! With your daylilly experience, you will find rose breeding perhaps even more fun.

I only tried JL once several years ago and don’t remember getting anything worth keeping, however, others may have had more success with it.

In what area of the world/country to do live? Our main fungal pest here in Calfornia is powdery mildew. I have used ‘Baby Love’ with good success in ridding most of the seedlings of powdery mildew. You can then carry your best seedlings forward and get closer to your goals.

Jim Sproul

I am living in Fort Collins Colorado. Herepowdery mildew is more of a problem than anything else. I have seen some rust and absolutely no blackspot in the four years I have lived here. But powdery mildew and spider mites are two totally different problem. I like Jeanne LaJoie because it only shows a little powdery mildew at the end of the season. Same with Baby Love. I have crossed the two of them. I am planning to cross the two best seedlings I get from this cross. I believe in outcrossing, but I think one needs to inbread here and there to be sure of setting the characteristics you want. But as far as the climate. We sit in a bowl in the foothills that is hot and dry. Not so much a desert as say semi arid. We get hardly any snow coverage in winter except I guess every four years or so the wind is just right and it forces the clouds just right over the mountains. Almost no rain fall. Zone 6 I think.

Adam, your cross sounds like a good goal! I did a similar cross with further inbreeding using ‘Baby Love’ crossed with ‘Marmalade Skies’. The resulting seedling is a single, but it is completely clean in our climate and is very floriferous. It has been useful in other breeding. The cross that produced that seedling was (‘Marmalade Skies’ X ‘Baby Love’) X [(‘Marmalade Skies’ X ‘Baby Love’) X (‘Marmalade Skies’ X ‘Baby Love’)]. I have crossed it with shrubs, minis and HT’s and have been happy with several of the resulting seedlings.

Jim Sproul