interesting thought for halo roses

Today, I was looking at a very pretty bud of an openly pollinated Pillow Fight seedling. It’s a deep dusky rose pink, and occasionally… I see that it has a deeper “ring” of near red on the outside of the petals.

The effect is similar to a halo rose… except, in reverse.

I am not sure if this seedling will keep making roses like this. It does it, but not all the time and I don’t know if it has to deal with soil or light changes.

But I can envision this rose as a very long stemmed high pointed rose. Halos in the inside require the flower to be single or semi-single. What’s the point of a halo if nobody can see it?

But… a halo on the outside, that could be something very interesting for the gardener who’s experiencing ennui for the hybrid tea.

The pollen parent of this rare little seedling maybe Kim’s Lynnie. My seedling reminds me slightly of Lynnie in it’s rather prettily shaped buds and saturation of pink. Even the disease resistant foilage reminds me more of Lynnie than Pillow Fight. Lynnie is also planted in front of Pillow Fight, and it’s plentiful with it’s fertile pollen. Pillow Fight has been too difficult to cross, so I sow whatever OP’s I can find… I have raised 4 openly pollinated seedlings in the past, but this is the only seedling that has survived and has done extraordinarily well.

Enrique, that’s something that I have also thought would be a nice addition to rose colorations.

It seems that many of the halo roses do have a darker color showing through to the reverse. It would be interesting to see if that effect could be further strengthened giving a darker color to the base of the bloom, while lightening to the outer edges.

I had also thought that the persicas might be useful for the effect, but they unlike the halo roses, tend not to show the darker blotch coloring through to the petal reverse.

Jim Sproul