Inheritance via pollen - via hip

Assuming a rose plant is fertile as hip parent as well as pollen parent: are there differences in inheritance?

As far as I remember: male parents pass on only their chromosomes organized in the nucleus. Female parents supply additionnally plasmatic borne mitochondria and plastids.

I could imagine that the female parent generally has a greater influence on vigor.

Are there any qualities known to be inherited only by hip parents?

I know in African Violets and Hosta, variegation is inherited only if the mother is variegated- it is not inherited via the pollen plant.

Jim

So far as is known things like variegation tend to run with the maternal side. There are some species in which it si actually the male that supplies some or all plastids, like pine trees and alfalfa. Flower striping would be a different thing thoug. It is probably an insertion into a color gene that hops in and out during development of the flower.

There are processes called imprinting in which certain groups of genes are shut down during meiosis or early embryo development so that means they don’t get expressed in the offspring. As a simple example that I am sure about, many offspring that I have from Austrian copper as a pollen donor, look almost exactly like it, rather than halfway between it and Carefree Beauty the egg donor. Even a second cross back to C.B. gives the same appearance. So somehow the prickle genes from the male are suppressing those of the female, and the same for leaflet shape and size. This is probably not just simple dominance of one gene over another when such complex structures are being determined. But we really don’t know. The imprinting process uses methylation of DNA, acetylation of histones and other complicated processes.

Then we have interfering RNA and microRNA that provide global controls of whole batches of things, or perhaps just one thing. Depends on what pathway is looked at. We don’t know much about this in any system,certainly not roses. But it is presumed to be “universal” in plants.

So some things may have uniparental inheritance, others may seem to.

many offspring that I have from Austrian copper as a pollen donor, look almost exactly like it, rather than halfway between it and Carefree Beauty the egg donor.

This is a really interesting observation. It is even more so when you consider what a mongrel Carefree Beauty is: chinensis, persiana, foetida, f. bicolor, laxa, moschata. multiflora, roxburghii, spinosissima and wichuraiana. I wonder if selective reduction/division could be involved given the potential for homology mismatches with this background.