I purchased a Winner's Circle for breeding

We have a local nursery that appears to have some sort of “favored status” with the big name plant distributors. Whether this intrepretation is correct or not, it appears that I often have been able to get “hot” new roses the season before they become generally available. This spring they got Radler’s “Winner’s Circle” a fire engine red climber that is listed as “one of the most floriferous climbers we have ever introduced” (from Star Roses Tag). It apparently is covered with bright orange hips in the fall.

The parents are listed by code name only. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=54148

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=54148

Ah yeah, Portland Nursery had the one.

Good luck with it :slight_smile: I thought about getting another of his, but Im still trying to figure out goals for Home Run.

Henry:

All the hips and blooms sound great, but I went to the Star web site and it said nothing about disease resistance , on the same page that showed other roses where they bragged about the disease resistance. I find the silence on disease resistance ominous in this climate. Do you have any blackspot info on the it?

Bob Zone 9

That is great question about disease resistance. I just got that book adverstised in the ARS magazine yesterday on the Sustainable Rose Garden and Bill lists and describes all his varieties in there that are on the market and doesn’t say anything in particular regarding resistance. It’s nice to know it sets hips well and I’m excited to try it too.

Sincerely,

David

David:

Stop tempting me with all this talk about hips. Makes me wonder if the apple in Genesis is really “hip” mistranslated from ancient texts. Each time I edit my wish for next season’s ordering(already too hot here this year) I have noticed one thing – unlike the legal opinions I draft, the editing of my wish list never seems to make it any shorter. Thanks.

Bob Zone 9