Hulthemia has more to offer than a blotch.

One of the more outstanding attributes of Hulthemia persica is the extremes of climate that it withstands. For example, it is indigenous to the Tengiz-Korgaljin Lakes system in Kazakhstan, ~100 miles from the capitol city of Astana. Astana is "the second coldest capital in the world (behind Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia), with temperatures of -35 to -40

We’ll see how it deals with my 900mm (35ish inches) of rain a year then :slight_smile: Places about 1 hour to the west of me here get more than 3m of annual rainfall… would be a good test for it too :wink:

OMG Simon, that is a shocking amount of rain… wish some of it could come up north to cure the mainland drought…

I wish it would too… at this time of year it rains and rains and rains and is freezing and nothing ever dries… Just 2 weeks of dry sunny weather is all I ask for…

We had a very very warm spring day today, and we are still in mid winter. I DREAD to think what sort of horror summer might await us if this is any indication :frowning:

My Eiffel Tower is still in full bloom, and to be honest if this type of weather pattern persists, it is NOT going to rest this winter AT ALL!!

THIS IS FREAK OUT WEATHER!! What is happening to our planet…

Hulthemia has more to offer than a blotch?

Were it bred for…and not diluted with backcrosses to less tough garden roses.

Adaptation to extreme conditions is often through characteristics that are selected against such as once flowering and/or early stopping growth.

Well the one hulthemia hybrid I have has the BEST non-fading yellow color I have ever seen. Apparently I’m not the only one that has noticed.

http://www.bulbnrose.org/Roses/breeding/Persica/PERSICA.HTML

“The yellow colour is extremely vivid, and may prove to be the best source of yellow in roses, especially when one considers its unfading nature in view of its native habitat.”

As far as the blotch goes, I’m gonna cheat. I have a cutting from at least a 50 year old rose from a neighbor that is yellow and has a very large red blotch…I’m gonna try and cross it with my hulthemia (I guess what I’m saying is that you can have the blotch without having to go hulthemia also).

How about the dark brown color it has? You know, the blotch? That is one of the most saturated colors I’ve seen in some faded photographs. I’d be interested to see if any pigment analyses have been done on the species’ petals and what makes the two colors diferent.

I have a cutting from at least a 50 year old rose from a neighbor that is yellow and has a very large red blotch…

Do you have photos of this rose, Jon?

I know I shouldn’t have thrown that teaser out without a flower photo. I took the clipping last autumn. I’ll tell ya what I know. I have driven by this rose for years and admired it every spring (slowing down to gape in awe, etc). It came from an elderly gentleman and I finally did catch him outside mowing (I wasn’t ever going to knock on the door). So I came after him with a pair of clippers and asked if I could have a cutting from his rose. He was hesitant to give permission (as I would be too)…so I only took one small cutting (normally I would like to get at least three or four). The next day we met up in a store (odd how that happens). He told me the rose was “his moms, and at least 50 yrs old.” He did not know its name. His plant throws long (10-15’)canes and seems to be akin to a pegging (or semi-climbing)type. Spectacular in full spring bloom with large (3-4") semi-double vibrant yellow with a deep red eye that can be seen from afar…some small autumn re-bloom. I’ve noticed the eye changes from year to year (bigger/smaller). That’s all I know. I promise to post a picture of the flower as soon as mine blooms because I’m dieing to know the name of this.

Jon, which hulthemia hybrid do you have?

Something from Sequoia (R. Moore). I’m beginning to think it was breeding stock or otherwise unreleased (unless someone recognizes it).

Reminds me of something out of ‘Joycie’.

‘Thanks to Sue’, maybe?

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=46136&tab=1

I am so jealous at you guys there in the US. Here we have nothing to use except Euphrates which is not golden and not fertile in any case… :frowning:

It came mislabeled as ‘Persian Flame’ (but in all honesty I did indicate that any “Persian” rose would do). It DOES have the blotch (although you all can’t see it- promise). It does bloom only on old wood and seems to be non-remontant (and is not a prolific bloomer). It’s a vigorous, rounded bush with 4’ canes in all directions. It does not fade (not one bit). It sets hip.

‘Thanks to Sue’ seems to be a smaller bush, paler color, and does she carry a blotch also?

No, no blotch, ‘Thanks to Sue’ repeats and fades. I have a feeling the color would initially be fairly intense in a climate like yours. It comes close to that color here in Winter.

You might contact Carolyn Supinger at the old Sequoia Nsy. address to see if she recognizes it. She still answers correspondence.

Mr. Moore. is still doing well. He isn’t hybridizing any longer. Apparently he’s playing with OP seedlings.

If you don’t have the address I can give it to you.

I appreciate the offer. I just noticed the other day that the website was still up, which I thought was odd.

I’m going to miss them and nor’east.

A good percentage of my roses now are collected roses with unknown names anyways.

Well I was also hoping what I had assumed was a harsh climate of origin would bode well for the dry foothills, unfortunately all four of the Moore ones Pickering offered and I planted this spring did not make it through July. Two never broke dormancy, one did then died and the last developed buds and died without flowering … one more try next year and then i will assume this rose is not for here.

Where are you located Riku?

Prairie-Rocky Mountain foothills transition in Canada, zone 3A. Very little snow cover in my opinion. Mother-in-law from England complains of how dry it is. Hybrid teas peak bloom is 3rd week of July … I am at peak right now - second flush usually a non-existent for tenders. Natural grasslands are usually brown by mid to late August

Persiana Yellow flourishes without any real winter die back and black spot (why I thought the Hulthemia might be a good try) and I can grow Soleil d’Or without protection - canes do die back but not as much as the explorers in my garden. Sd’O does black spot after the first flush.