Hip drop--planning for the coming season

Before reaching maturity, a large percentage (possibly 50+?) of the crosses I made fell to the ground this past summer. Would this be due to mismatched ploidy, bad weather at the time of the cross, poor seed parents, or other factors? What would you recommend to reduce hip drop during this coming season? Or is this kind of percentage of loss just to be expected in the art of hybridizing?

Thanks for your input!

2 of the articles at my link below may be helpful. The first is on pollinating on more than 1 day; the second is on treating the hip with a hormone after pollinating.

http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/rosepublicationsindex.htm

Link: home.neo.rr.com/kuska/rosepublicationsindex.htm

Hi Robert:

I think that your answers in the question given in your post above are probably at play. Good seed parents, however, will rarely drop hips unless the pollen is not fertile. Most roses are not “good” seed parents.

Have you noticed that some of your seed parents are particularly good? Use those ones. I have stopped using any roses as seed parents if they don’t readily set hips. It is too much of a waste of time - and disappointing!

Jim Sproul

That brings up another issue and that is parents that produce seed that don’t germinate well. I have a pretty low germination rate overall, although some batches do germinate very well, and I’m wondering if it’s due to some of my methods (eg. am I soaking in H2O2 too long?) or rather that it’s due to the fact that I’m using many seed parents that don’t produce viable seeds. The most difficult to germinate seem to be the roses that produce large seeds. Last year I had no germinations at all from Dainty Bess or Brass Band. I tried scarifying them which didn’t help.

Perhaps my rate would improve if I planted those 1/2" under the soil rather than waiting until they germinate on soil in a petri dish or on paper towels.

Any thoughts?

I second Jim’s comments. Don’t work with losers…it is a waste of time. Work the the ones that set seed easily and germinate like Sunflower seeds!

Paul

Here is a list of parents I find wto be good parents.

Link: www.rdrop.com/~paul/seedproduction.2004a.html

I don’t know…

I have a seedling from an Abraham Darby that aborted quite early. Some seedlings were incredibly prone, but one is very superb in health. And I’m very happy that I have saved this seedling because it now replaces the spot where Abraham Darby used to be (it did not like it’s spot) and this seedling is thriving better…

But it is very slow to build up, a trait I’m thinking that came from Aloha. And like it’s pollen parent, it is most likely once blooming… I’m hoping to see the first flowers this year. (This germinated 2 years ago…)

And even though I haven’t seen the flowers yet, and is excessively thorny, it has the health that I looked for. I’m imagining the flowers being single, pink and small, not worthy for introduction… But it has the health, and maybe it will be very pretty as a shrub or climber…