Henry - what is your experience with Folksinger as a seed parent???

I’ve noticed from Henry’s web site that he has used Folksinger as a seed parent. My Folksinger is loaded with buds and I’m wondering about peoples’ experiences with it as a seed parent. Mine was new last year along with several other Buck roses and I felt that it was probably the best of the bunch for disease resistance. It came through the winter with some but not substantial die back. And to top it off, I kind of like the color and the bloom. All in all it has quite a few attributes of a reasonable parent in my opinion.

Is it accepting of many different pollen sources? What is the germination rate? Do the favorable aspects of Folksinger come through in the seedlings?

Possible pollen parents are - Home Run (kind of hooked on this one), William Baffin, John Cabot (first year using it in crosses), Baby Love.

Any and all perspectives and advice are greatly appreciated.

Liz

My 2007 germinations are arranged by seed parent in the following table:

Use your find command with my pictures of this year’s first flowers to see what Folksinger has contributed:

http://picasaweb.google.com/HAKuska/HenrySRoses

Germination rate will vary with when the plant was pollinated. Unfortunately, this past year I did not keep that information (I had written it on the 2 by 2 zip bags that I put over the flower, but did not record that information in my nootbook when I harvested the seeds).

Link: spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pxHhTw7ylg7-IvdLke9veKA&pli=1

Thanks Herny, I was able to find the pictures, but the link to your spreadsheet does not seem to work for me. I gather from the pictures that Folksinger is one of your more frequently used seed parents?

Liz

Try this link:

Link: spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pxHhTw7ylg7-IvdLke9veKA

Sorry, that one did not work either on my wife’s computer.

This one did:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pxHhTw7ylg7-IvdLke9veKA

Folksinger’s ancestory is given at:

Although it is hardy and disease resistant in my garden, I feel that it is one that can benefit from being crossed with other hardy, disease resistant blood lines.

I had even a better rose (flower) from the Folksinger X Illusion cross than the one pictured in:

http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/folksinger%20X%20Illusion.htm

It was large, many petaled, but also had many colors. It also bloomed so much that it did not survive the first season (probably did not grow deep enough roots).

The following one also bloomed all season but did not survive the first winter:

http://home.neo.rr.com/kuska/folksinger_x_baffin%20-2004.htm

From now one I will cut the blooms (after the first) off so that the plant puts more energy into its root system.

Folksinger op seedlings get mildew; mildew is rarely a problem here.

Folksinger has been a decent buck rose for me and seems to set hips fairly well. Some people feel that it may not been all that hardy. I have found it to be in the middle of the road for Buck roses. Its strong growing and did well in a borderline Zone 4 5 garden in Nebraska. For me, it did better than Buck roses like Honeysweet, Wild Ginger or Distant Drums but not as well as Hawkeye Belle.

Did well for blackspot but it has always fared poorly with respect to powdery mildew. I have decided to stop spraying completely. In my new garden here in Idaho, it currently has a nice case of PM showing up right now. I am going to let it go withoug treatment. It it makes it, great, if not, oh well.

If I get the chance, I have every intention to cross it with Baby Love which may have said can produce strong PM resistance in its seedlings.

I have had good results in germination rates in the open pollinated seeds I grew from it. Most ended up with odd pinkish / flesh type colors that were not attractive. Like dave, all had pm problems and were discarded fairly quickly.

I have a hard time catching the blooms at the right time. In the morning, its still in bud form, come home from work at night and its completely open and starting to fade already.

Did have a couple of hips set with Baby Love pollen back in Nebraska. They were accidently snipped in a dead heading fit before they had a chance to mature.