Hazeldean

After reading the very interesting post about breeding a cold hardy yellow climber, I thought it would be a good idea to try and find Hazeldean. I cant find it available anywhere and was wondering if anyone knew who carries it or carried it in the past. The places I have found that might have it will not ship to the US.

There is also another interesting web site:

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/mgshol/RobRoses.htm

This web site talks about roses created by Robert Erskine. One of which, Prairie Peace, is a interesting rose. Does anyone know much about this rose and if It can be obtained? Are there any sources of Robert Erskine’s roses? I tried to contact the email listed on the web page but didnt get and answer.

Thanks.

Steve

Russian Roses for the North (250-442-1266) has carried Hazeldean as well as Beauty of Leafland the seed parent for Prairie Peace. You can give then a try.

http://www.russianroseforthenorth.com

RR of the North web site has not been working of late and I am suspecting that they may be no longer with us.

Anyone know how to contact RR of the North?

Steven,

I have a small Hazeldean that I got from Skinner’s. I think it was just last spring, but I neglected to get it planted until last fall…so, it only had a few flowers earlier this season. It was one of the survivors – some of the other roses I had ordered, didn’t make it through the suffering I imposed on them. I would guess that Skinner’s still has Hazeldean and they have a website too, if I’m remembering right. Good luck in your quest. Tom

Hi Tom,

I tried Skinners to but they were not willing to ship it to the US. I offered to have someone come pick it up and even stated that if I could get someone to come to the nursery that I would make sure they had the necessary paperwork. They replied stating they could not sell a rose if they knew it was going to the US.

So I am out of luck there too. Bummer. Tom, are you in Canada?

Steven,

Email me direct if you can’t find ‘Hazeldean’ in the U.S., and I’ll send you a plant. Regarding ‘Prairie Peace’, it has much better repeat bloom in late summer/early fall than ‘Hazeldean’. I suspect the pollen is more viable than ‘Hazeldean’ too. It doesn’t sucker as much either. I made a few crosses this year with it and ‘Morden Centennial’.

Paul

I thought I would add that the parentage of ‘Hazeldean’ as stated in Modern Roses is incorrect. The staminate parent is

‘Harison’s Yellow’ and not ‘Persian Yellow’. Percy Wright developed at least two more cultivars of the same parentage (Rosa spinosissima altaica x ‘Harison’s Yellow’). They are ‘Kilwinning’ (double white with a yellow centre) and ‘Yellow Altai’ (single yellow). Of the three cultivars, ‘Yellow Altai’ is the most fertile as a pistillate parent. Even though they were developed more than 50 years ago, all three cultivars still exist.

Actually, Percy Wright disagreed with himself about the parentage of ‘Hazeldean’.

In “New Varieties for the Extreme North” (ARA, 1949) he had wrote:

“Hazeldean is another seedling of R. spinosissima altaica pollinated by Harison’s Yellow, but it did not bloom until June, 1948. It is not so floriferous as either of its parents, or its sister Yellow Altai, and it blooms later than either.”

However, in “Breeding Yellows” (RHA Newsletter? He mentioned an article in the Spring, 1975 issue of that publication) he contradicted his earlier statement:

“My yellow rose Hazeldean was originated by putting pollen of Persian Yellow on the ‘Scotch’ rose, the subspecies Altaica, which normally blooms a week or more before Persian Yellow does. I was able to make the cross by bringing in pollen from a southern source.”

Link: www.bulbnrose.com

Percy Wright may have disagreed with himself about the parentage of ‘Hazeldean’, but that was done when he was getting old. He wrote several articles in the 1950’s about ‘Hazeldean’ and always mentioned that the staminate parent of ‘Hazeldean’ was ‘Harison’s Yellow’. Mr. Wright had Alzheimer’s Disease in his 80’s and died from it when he was nearly 90 years old.