Has anyone tried this product for seed germination improvement?

See: biconet.com - biconet Resources and Information.

Link: www.biconet.com/soil/thermX70.html

Is the theory that the saponins help penetrate seed coat and dissolve abscissic acid? Or is there another theory behind using such?

-Philip

I found 2 old articles by the same principle author.

Title: Action of Quillaja and Sapindus saponins on water absorption by the seeds and on germination and growth of Zea mais L.

Authors: Balansard, J.; Pellissier, F.; Conil, S.

Authors affiliation: Univ. Marseille,

Published in: Comptes Rendus des Seances de la Societe de Biologie et de Ses Filiales (1946), 140 pages 140-2.

Abstract: “In 1:50,000 concn. either saponin accelerated water absorption by the moistened seeds. The soap bark (Quillaja) saponin, 1:20,000, accelerated germination and the growth of the young corn plants for the first few days.”

Title: Saponins and the growth of the tomato plant.

Authors: Balansard, J.; Pellissier, F.

Published in: Comptes Rendus des Seances de la Societe de Biologie et de Ses Filiales (1945), 139, pages 1008-10.

Abstract: “Soaking tomato seeds 24 hrs. in very dil. saponin soln. accelerated germination and growth of the seedlings, possibly by stimulating formation of growth hormone. Application of dil. saponin soln. to the roots of plants 10-70 days old had a more or less toxic effect, sometimes preceded by a short period of stimulation.”

“toxic effect”

–yikes.

One wonders what the dilution in the ThermX 70 is and just how beneficial the effects of it are. Do you suppose it affects yield adversely?

I wonder too if other mild detergents or surfactants yield comparable results(?) Ignorant question on my part, but are such used in germination? (Horrible cynic that I am, I can’t help but wonder if the steroid saponin really has huge benefits aside from sounding sexy… I mean, sure, seedlings on steroids sounds great…)

:wink: