Has anyone tried breeding with any of these?

See:

http://horttech.ashspublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/18/4/734

Link: horttech.ashspublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/18/4/734

I did breed with ‘The McCartney Rose’ in my old garden. The resulting seedlings were in fact quite floriferous AND quite fragrant to boot. I have one seedling in particular that seems to always be in bloom unless I disbud it (which I did last summer to keep JBs away).

On a side note, ‘The McCartney Rose’ was easy to work with. It set hips easily and usually produced large hips with plenty of seeds. Germination was quite good. Disease resistance of seedlings a little hit or miss…not particularly reliable. Although, I have to admit that as I talk about this I am wondering why I haven’t added it back in to my new garden! LOL

I can’t access the page. Which roses are on it?

I have used The McCartney Rose as well, but only as a pollen parent. It doesn’t set seed well in my garden. The 1 seedling I have from it, a cross with Loving Touch, is the same color and fragrance as McC but ogr form and clusters.

The link doesn’t work for me either. So I was wondering what the paper was about also.

Field Performance of Cut Flower Rose Cultivars in Mississippi

Rose (Rosa) cultivars from two breeders, Meilland Star and W. Kordes S

I’ve grown Traviata for ten years. It is a strong rose with long lived blooms on strong stems. I have McCartney Rose next to it for the same timespan, and I often get o.p. McCartney hips with so many seeds that exogenous seeds are visible.

Both are good roses in a no spray garden.

Traviata has one negative: the blooms are held bolt upright and usually rot on the bush. They hold water in amongst the petals. IF you have any rainfall, even after petal removal, and if you do get seeds to set, those hips may trap water. Were I using Traviata (and it is a great rose), I’d keep remay or some other water shedding protection over the hips through maturity.

The link was O.K. The site was down, but it is back up.

I planted