Greenmantle...

Wow…

For those who maybe interested in breeding eglatines, Greenmantle passes on the repeating bloom gene and maintain fragrant foilage.

Today I saw one open pollinated seedling. Totally spotless, and was making hips. I totally forgotten it, and never got to see the flowers.

It’s a suprise because it looks like the pollen parent maybe a modern moss rose. The buds looked mossy to me… I suspect that if this is indeed a mossy eglatine hybrid, then the pollen parents must had been Goldmoss, Scarlet Moss, my Livin’ Easy X Goldmoss, or Paul’s mossy hybrid. The parent may infact be Paul’s hybrid, it is growing right next to Greenmantle and Lady Penzance.

Hopefully it blooms again so that I can see the color. If I see some yellow, it may be my seedling or Goldmoss. If it’s darker red, then Scarlet Moss or Paul’s hybrid.

Very exciting, as creating a mossy eglatine has been one of my goals.

Enrique,

I was reviewing the RHA forum letters and saw your note on Greenmantle. If you have any further info on eglanterias, I’d be grateful.

I have two plants that I assume is are eglanterias. I started seeds from hips scavenged from christmas wreaths at the wholesale flower market in San Francisco. The foliage is delightfully apple scented. Even as single leafed seedlings, the scent could be discerned. I want to try crossing them with Cl. Fourth of July. I’s love to get a big plant that keeps the apple scent.

Jeff

Well…

There aren’t many hybridizers that are working on it. And this is a minor goal of mine. As far as I know, Applejack is the only “modern” eglatine out there.

One of my goals was to create a thornless eglatine hybrid, and apple scented mossy hybrids.

As far as I know, this openly pollinated seedling maybe a moss/ eglatine hybrid. I’m not sure because I never saw the flower.

This year I did a cross of Applejack and an unknown scotch rose, and the foilage maybe fragrant. I say may because it’s still small.

Eglatines have weird plodies. There are several discussion archived here. I would shift through it with keyword “ploidy”.

Jeffrey, I think I still have openly pollinated hips on Lady Penzance.

I’m going to send out a long over due rose to a friend…

Send me you address via email, and I’ll send you the seeds.

Ive been looking around at posts but cant seem to find an answer to my questions about greenmantle. Does anyone know the ploidy? My assumption is triploid based on the heritage, but if its not triploid it would be hexaploid. I know it also is able to pass on repeat bloom, but does anyone know where the repeat come from? I wanted to work with it a little bit and see where i can go with it.

Hello Bregingew!
I found this older quote here in the forum. Maybe David can tell you something more about Greenmantle, due to DNA analysis.

Given the parentage, it may not be so much that Greenmantle has inherited an allele that results in repeat bloom, but it might simply have a weaker genetic control over once-blooming behavior. This could be due to the R. foetida parentage, since numerous roses derived closely from R. foetida seem to be remontant or to produce repeat blooming seedlings when crossed with roses having certain RoKSN alleles known to lead to repeat blooming behavior, even though R. foetida itself flowers only once. This seems to be an understudied phenomenon, so the exact mechanism isn’t clear.

R. rubiginosa is most commonly pentaploid with pollen containing one set of chromosomes and egg containing four sets due to the Caninae meiosis; R. foetida is generally tetraploid and has regular meiosis, so pollen and egg would typically contain two sets of chromosomes each. It’s pretty likely that Greenmantle is a hexaploid, then, although it may still have somewhat irregular meiosis.

Stefan

3 Likes

Thats very interesting! I wonder if its similar to this study on rugosas.

They essentially found that KSN heterozygosity worked because of hypermethylization of the histones around the KSN gene in the non-mutated parent which would decrease the expression of the repressor protein in general. I am curious how long that could be passed on since epigenetic changes can be altered from one generation to another.

1 Like

Looks like Greenmantle is no longer sold in the UK… Which is a shame as I would like to play with it. Anyone in the UK got it and fancy giving me a cutting?