Golden Chersonese

This may be a redundant post – a search brought up numerous references, but scattered in several different threads…

I gather that Golden Chersonese has been a difficult parent, but due more to timing of pollen, or other barrier? What are folks’ experiences with this plant, both as a parent, and in its own rights?

And do you have preferred Pimpinellifoliae for a hot humid, rainy locale having a good, deep yellow? Harisonii? Ecae? Xanthina?

The problem I had was that it is hard to find, and when it is available, it is from a mail order nursery with random sale dates (like Vintage) rather than when I want to order it (like January).

Also, I do imagine that it blooms early like many briars do, which can pose serious issues depending on where one lives. This can be dealt with by freezing pollen for a month until more roses bloom, but it is annoying to deal with, especially if you want to try one as a seed parent. In this case, you must either buy roses already in bloom or freeze pollen from the previous year.

I live in a cool, rainy and humid area and I prefer Golden Wings. Although I bet R15 would be nice here, too. I really wouldnt recommend anything too close to Rosa foetida in humid climates, lol. That seems like a disaster in the making.

This thread reminds me of why I wish I had a huge greenhouse :slight_smile: Then I could time potential parents to bloom when species roses are blooming…

Avoiding anything close to R. foetida is precisely why I’m curious about the other yellows. (Well, in addition to the yellow, the aroma and texture of foliage is attractive on many of these…) Not that my goal is to reinvent the wheel by starting a new line of yellows 200 years behind those from R.f., but I do think they could be fun to play with…

Jadae, temperature notwithstanding, I assume you have a lot of BS pressure in your area?? (Mildew is not much of an issue here.) Is Golden Wings pretty resistant? The yellow never appears quite as intense as G.C. in photos (despite the foetida in GW through Soeur Therese). The parent Ormiston Roy looks interesting, however…

I’m assuming the pollen will freeze well enough, and I generally would use a species such as this as a pollen parent anyway.

Ive never seen disease on my Golden Wings.

Jadae, Vintage apparently does offer it this season. (Actually, they have several interesting species this year… Ah for more property, time and money…)

Yeah, I noticed. But it was too late by the time they had it up. Hortico also had it on my order, and then found out “its out of stock”.

It is not winter hardy in Zone 2a nor is Canary bird. But I do have a cross between Golden Cher. and Rosa bland The plants are two years old an look like they might be of the size to flower… but I have made mistakes before.

I made some Graham Thomas x Orniston Roy crosses. Some are germinating. The Orniston Roy plant I got my pollen from grows in the Wageningen Botanical Garden. It is located in the pimpinellifoliae section and looked just like other pimps, but the flowers were vivid yellow. I’m wondering what the seedlings look like.

Rob

Rob, that sounds like a rather interesting cross.

Your climate, obviously, wouldn’t be like mine, but do you have any sense of Roy’s resistance?

I’ve not worked with any of the pimpinellifoliae, but wonder how many of them are susceptible to BS. The one plant I have known tended to drop its leaves at any sign of stress, which ironically kept it relatively clean.

The pimps tend to be leafless here, too. I think it is just too wet for how dense they are. Golden Wings, however, is spotless here. Go figure.

My observations are only done in the flowering seasons, and then they looked relatively clean blackspot wise. I don’t know what they look like at the end of summer though. I did notice some weird rust infections on some plants. Sometimes a hip would be covered in thick packets of rust, but only one say two or three hips, the rest of plant remaining clean. I’m speaking about the pimps in general, I didn’t notice any remarkable differences about Orniston Roy.

Rob

Golden Wings is not resistant on the East cost in my experience. At least it is not resistant to BS in NY, CT and MD and VA.

Harrisons Yellow also gets BS.

Hugonis, Canary Bird, Cantabrigiensis, Primula are bullet proof here.

Olga

I love Golden Wings, but it gets pretty bad black spot here in Charleston, WV.

I am about to find out how Harison’s Yellow fares–I just received some suckers from the plant I grew in Lubbock, TX.

Hugonis had no black spot during the 6-7 years that I grew it here–it died of gall.

Peter

Bummer :frowning:

Of those last three, Olga, do you have a preferred one for color intensity, health and vigor?

They all are healthy and vigorous. Canary Bird has the brighest color, starts blooming earlier for me then other early yellow and has beautiful hips. Primuls has wonderful leaf fragrance, and flowers that change color fron yellow to white. Looks beautiful with two colors mixed on the same branch. Cantabrigiensis is new for me, but looks wonderful too.

Olga

primula also has extremely fragrant blooms. I cant describe the scent. it’s blooming right now, tho.

Phillip,

Did you end up using Golden Chersonese as a pollen parent (form stored pollen) and if so did you have any success? Mine is about to flower here though I have found it to be really slow to establish… hoping it takes off here in its second year. It didn’t set any OP hips last year. In my area, US equiv. zone 9-10 winter rainfall area, it is completely clean.

Simon, I’m assuming you are in a different hemisphere from me. (Australia?)

I did not obtain any pollen, alas, and have not been able to attempt any crosses with any of the plants recommended in this thread. Let me know if you have any success.

Digging up the past a bit… This year has been a good year for Golden Chersonese. It has quadrupled in size, is clean as a whislte and flowered it’s head off. I was hoping for more OP hips but have only got one… not sure what to do with it either because we are only in mid-summer here and already this lone hip has swollen and turned bright orange. It seems too early to harvest it yet but the plant is telling me it is ready… the skin is starting to pucker a little indicating it is drying out a bit now too.