Golden Buddha

Hi,

I want to buy Golden Buddha and I will breed with

it. I think it could be interesting.

Does anybody know, if Golden Buddha is fertile?

I think Golden Buddha should be fertile.

Hi Andrea,

Golden Buddha has never produced a viable seed for me, and its pollen is only occasionally fertile. I never got any offspring using its pollen that I thought merited further exploration of it. Its a very nice plant but I regard it as a dead end as far as breeding goes.

Paul

Hi Paul,

thank you for the information.

I thought a seedling of out of yeasterday could

be interesting to breed.

It`s really a very nice plant.

Mary

Sorry, now it is correct:

"I thought a seedling of Out of yesteryear

could be interesting to breed."

Mary

"I thought a seedling of Out of yesteryear

could be interesting to breed."

Thats quite true, if it turns out to be fertile, but many of them are not. I have selected certain seedlings to breed a next generation, but unfortunately Golden Buddha isn’t one of them. This seedling is proving to be very useful in breeding, take a look:

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=61280

Hi Paul,

I saw your other Bracteata-Hybrids. They are very

nice and hardy.

I think the cross between 174-02-17 and Hot Cocoa

is very interesting to breed, if it is fertile.

Mary

Hi Mary,

Yes, 174-02-17 is very fertile and has bred some very interesting roses. The following rose is one seedling I am testing that was bred from 174-02-17, and I have Rugosa Hybrids I am now working on as well.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=74640

I’m looking forward to working with 174-02-17 Paul. Do you know if it’s pollen fertile?

I don’t expect my specimen will be large enough this season to utilize for seed.

With any luck I can use it with this seedling as it already appears to be setting hips. (see link) The foliage is really beautiful, thick with a rich dark green color. The new growth is red and the leaves and stem look like they’ve been lacquered. The best feature seems to be a resistance to mites which are very problematic in my propagation area. Mites are almost never a problem in the open garden for some reason.

It’s nice to finally see some saturated colors coming out of bracteata descendants.

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=60570

Hi Robert,

I don’t actually know if 174-02-17 is pollen fertile or not, but I suspect it is. I don’t think I have ever tried it as anything but a seed bearer. Definitely give it a go with your Star Magic seedling. I think it is interesting to bring together diverging lines of Bracteata hybrids to see what happens, especially if they happen to have some color saturation. This is one of the biggest problems with using Ralph’s Bracteata hybrids, particularly Out of Yesteryear: so rarely do you get anything with more than pastel coloring. If you do, chances are its not fertile anyway. Thats why I am pushing 174-02-17 these days.

Paul

Oh wow!!! 119-06-01 is just beautiful!

Hi Paul,

I like the pastel-coloring. 119-06-01 is beautifull.

Golden Buddha is sterile because it is triploid?

Mary

Paul, I love he coloring on the 119-06-01, just beautiful.

I have gotten some darker colors with Out of Yesteryear using Wm Shakespeare 2000 as a seed parent and using “Rose du Roi”. As you stated, I never got any of them to set seed until last year. I was so suprised to find 3 hips on a Rose du Roi X OOY seedling that had just germinated that year. The seedling has a single red flower. I am hoping to see some germinations from these seeds but if not I will try to pollinate the rose when it is more mature. It would be the first seed parent of my own crosses which makes it really exciting for me.

Trying to link a picture to the seedling that had the hips. I hope it works.

Link: img3.imageshack.us/my.php?image=roy0759.jpg

I couldn’t get to your image Sharon but those crosses sound wonderful. I would love to see them. Thanks, Robert

I will try the link again, Robert.

Link: img26.imageshack.us/img26/9342/roy0759.jpg

Sharon, it’s incredible you got that level of saturation from Out of Yesteryear. This is Rose du Roi X OOY ?

Amazing! Thanks, Robert

Yes, this one is Roi X OOY. I spoke wrong when I said I got 3 hips off this seedling. I got 1 little OP hip with 3 seeds and one of those seeds just germinated today!! Like I said the “mother” itself had just germinated last summer and was very small.

Fascinating Sharon, it seems we are about to see an explosion in the number bracteata descendants. I look forward to hearing more about your efforts.

Thats a very fine looking hybrid, Sharon. Let’s hope its fertile and passes on the better Bracteata traits and none of the poor ones. How is the petal substance, by the way? It looks good. The Out of Yesteryear seedlings often suffer from very thin petal texture.

There are two Bracteata hybrids I am currently focusing my efforts on: one is the aforementioned 174-02-17 and the other is 33-03-03, which goes back to ‘Muriel’ rather than ‘Out of Yesteryear’, which I grew weary of using for all its shortcomings. 33-03-03 is ‘Twilight Skies’ X ‘Muriel’ and is a confirmed Tetraploid, fertile in both directions. I think using ‘Sequoia Gold’ as the parent to produce ‘Out of Yesteryear’ was not ideal. It insured that most of the progeny of ‘Out of Yesteryear’ would be pale in color, a trait that has proven difficult to overcome. That’s why I went back to ‘Muriel’ to create 33-03-03, which is a medium red color that holds its pigment well. I hope it might be a better opportunity to bring deeper color into the Bracteata hybrids. See link:

Link: www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=74706

Paul, thank you. The red single seedling has decent petal substance. I know what you mean about the thin petals though. I have a seedling Veldfire X OOY that has tissue thin petals but is so pretty and reddens in the sun that I still keep it. See link.

Your 33-03-03 seedling is lovely in its own right. I love the white eye because it makes the rose really light up. I hope it gives you some beautiful seedlings with the colors that you want.

Link: s635.photobucket.com/albums/uu72/shmoopy1/Seedlings/?action=view&current=VFOY0524z.jpg